Knocking noise at idle, 82 GS550 Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knocking noise at idle, 82 GS550 Help

Hello fellow GS'ers, I need your help. 82 GS 550 with 4200 original miles, for real. Knocking noise when idling at operating temp. Sounds like clutch basket or carbs out of sync and it's a rather heavy knock. I have checked and addressed ALL of the obvious things as I'm very experienced with these engines but this one has me stumped. I understand alot of other GS's experience this too. Bottom line is I'm down to 1. possible starter clutch problem or 2. Too much assembled input shaft / clutch basket end play. or cam walk but doubt it. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts. Thanks Have a good one. Chuck. Pittsburgh

You may have solved the problem already.
    A carb synch can greatly reduce the racket from a clutch basket. Reduce not eliminate.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Is this Chuck from F&F Racing?? Chuck, I have a set of old school Carb Stix if you to barrow them. Swing on by anytime buddy. 👍
      My Motorcycles:
      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
      79 1000e (all original)
      82 850g (all original)
      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Thanks Steve, carbs are synced
        I think it may be the use of needle bearing at the end of this shaft allows go much play next to a heavy variable load assy. I find this totally unacceptable by Suzuki.

Comment

Hi Norm, ya it's me please send me your # i switched phones and lost it. Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X