650G RPM / speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

650G RPM / speed

Can't remember, can't find the old posts. Anyone with a stock 650G know what RPM it's doing at what speed in fifth?

Trying to figure out which sprocket ratio I want in the 550/675... Trying to get the same in sixth as the 650 had in fifth. I remember the 650G was set up really well for highway speeds in fifth gear.

Life is too short to ride an L.

that's harder than it sounds, you know..my tach says about 7000 rpm at 75mph per gps (the speedo reads too high on this bike) but if you trust a magazine article from Cycle World Ffeb 1982 it's supposed to be

60mph at 4667RPM (yes, that's about what I see =100kph in Canada) and 122mph at 9500 RPM

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Can't remember, can't find the old posts. Anyone with a stock 650G know what RPM it's doing at what speed in fifth?

Trying to figure out which sprocket ratio I want in the 550/675... Trying to get the same in sixth as the 650 had in fifth. I remember the 650G was set up really well for highway speeds in fifth gear.
      What Speed do you need? I'll break the G out tonight and let you know.
      Jedz Moto
      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
      1988 Honda GL1500-6
      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
      2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
      Originally posted by Hayabuser
      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Any speed, just pick one you can remember. I'll figure it out from there.

Comment

Roger!
          Will do when I get home!
          Jedz Moto
          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Tkent
            5th gear
            45MPH=3500RPM
            55MPH=4250RPM
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Thanks, now off to see what mine does....

Comment

I have something very close, but in fifth gear. 45mph = 3600, 55mph = 4350. Sixth gear is about 3250 and 4000.
                Not quite what I expected.

Comment

Tkent what size rear are you running?
                  Jedz Moto
                  1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                  1988 Honda GL1500-6
                  2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

The rear sprocket is the 550's stock 50, the front I just went from the stock 15 to a 16. This with the standard old 530 non o ring chain the 550s came with. I found an almost new chain off a 550L I parted out a while ago. I'm sure the chain won't last very long on one new sprocket and one slightly used one, but hopefully it will make it until the 700cc engine goes in this winter. I think just slightly taller would be right for that engine, the 16/50 combo sure seems to work well for this one.
                    Also it's an 18" rear wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      The rear sprocket is the 550's stock 50, the front I just went from the stock 15 to a 16. This with the standard old 530 non o ring chain the 550s came with. I found an almost new chain off a 550L I parted out a while ago. I'm sure the chain won't last very long on one new sprocket and one slightly used one, but hopefully it will make it until the 700cc engine goes in this winter. I think just slightly taller would be right for that engine, the 16/50 combo sure seems to work well for this one.
                      Also it's an 18" rear wheel.
                      I have a 17" on my G.

Now I see where your going with this... When you said 6th my mind went straight to, umm WTH is he talking about the G's never came with a 6th gear.
                      Jedz Moto
                      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                      1988 Honda GL1500-6
                      2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Yeah, I just remembered I thought the 650G I had a few years ago had a really nice drive ratio for that engine. 5th would go plenty fast, yet would accelerate nicely without downshifting.
                        I have basically the same engine on a smaller lighter bike, so as thinking if I got it close I'd probably be happy with it.
                        I'm happy with it.

Comment

Working...
                        X