Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine Oil getting into Secondary Gear Oil.. Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Oil getting into Secondary Gear Oil.. Help?

1982 GS 1100G (Shaft Drive)

Beginning of season, all fluids topped off correctly.
    After about 1000 miles, I start to get an oil drip when I shut the bike off coming out of the overflow for the secondary gears.
    It is clearly engine oil as the amount of overfill is the same amount that I have to add to the engine oil to top off.
    I saw a thread earlier on the same problem on a GS850 but there was no definitive solution. The schematic of the crankcase shows no obvious "seal" or part number (or maybe I'm missing it)
    Any suggestions?

Was this the 850 thread ?
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

There is an oil seat that separates the engine case from the secondary drive and goes around the transmission's main shaft. If you look at the parts fiche I believe it's number 55. Not sure if the cases have to be split to replace it though.

http://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oemparts/a/suz/50d40439f8700230d8b4ecf9/transmission
      http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
      1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

No. But thanks.

Comment

Probably this one.
          Alan

sigpic
          Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
          Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
          Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
          Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Hi Jim,
              Just gone down this track myself, I see AMK has copied you the link to my original post, I am 95% complete on my seal replacement works, although in saying this I have taken the opportunity to also replace the clutch whilst everything is dismantled.
              There are 4 seals in the crankcase that are worthwhile replacing, I found trying to ascertain which is the leaking culprit is difficult and whilst the crankcase is open you have access to them.
              Mine is GS850GZ 1982 model.
              There is a 3 seals between the engine oil and the gear oil, one extremely difficult to get to, this is a small seal located in the Dog Cam assembly, you need a special tool to gain access to this seal, the tool depresses the spring so you can remove the two spring cap keepers. I couldn't find one anywhere on the planet, so basically I made one, happy to post a picture if this helps.
              Once you separate the Dog Cam, the seal is held in with a circlip. You again need the special tool to reassemble.

There are two seals that sit in the crankcase itself, one behind the Dog Cam and one directly behind the secondary drive gear, once the crankcase is split these are easy to get to and replace.

The fourth seal is in the oil pump delivery tube, again worth replacing.

I see your bike is the 1100G, might be a slightly different configuration but if you view the 850 schematic you will see the seals I replaced.

They are suzuki numbers:

09283-35015.
              09283-40005.
              09283-20032.
              09280-13001.

When separating the crankcase make sure you have all bolts removed, one or two are in tricky spots and easily overlooked, which can cause an issue and a lot of time spent pulling your hair out wondering why the casing won't come apart................I speak from experience!

Its a big job, can be frustrating, but you learn a lot I can tell you, hopefully this fixes your oil problem.

i will update once mine is back on the road.

Regards
              LJR47

Comment

I've done this repair, Tuff one.

What LJR says is accurate with regard to the seal on the shaft, little doubt that is the culprit. You can do that repair with the top end together.

The joy of the shaftie! Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                X