Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First post to the forum! Question about oild drain plug specs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First post to the forum! Question about oild drain plug specs.

Been lurking here for a couple weeks in preparation of purchasing a 81 GS850L that I picked up a couple days ago.

As is customary with any new vehicle, I changed all the fluids today.

It was a long day with multiple trips to the hardware store to replace the studs for the oil filter cap. In my frustration with what turned into a 5 hour oil change, I put the drain plug back in and filled her up with oil before checking the torque specs. I did the same thing for the secondary and final gear case oil drain plugs. Poor wrenching, I know :/

There is no specific torque mentioned in the manual for those, so I referred to the tightening torque chart: Do you know what thread diameter the oil drain plugs are for the motor oil, and both gear case oil drain plugs? They were all a 21mm sockets. I think they are either 16 (58-95 lb-ft) or 18 (94-137 lb-ft) mm thread diameter. Both those torque specs sound really high to me, are they correct?

I look forward to nerding out about bikes with you guys!
    81' GS850L

Yes WAY TOO HIGH. My drain plug torque wrench is set to 18 ft lbs.

Comment

Yeah, don't overtorque those.

Currently fighting a PO-damaged oil drain plug. Really unnecessary PITA.
      #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
      #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
      #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
      #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Heck...just tighten it up so it doesn't leak.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Thanks, that's why I double checked. So there is no exact torque spec in the manual?
          81' GS850L

Comment

Surely the workshop or haynes manual has a figure ? But agree sometimes not.

On my GS550 and GSX 250 I tighten to 19nm. By coincidence they are the same.... yours must be similar or identical surely.
            I am a nerd and have tested this over the years to be correct and it does not leak and i don't fear stripping the threads.

(Be sure the threads are in good condition ........ as always, if not then its anyone's guess) Clean the threads with a wire brush ....
            UKJULES
            ---------------------------------
            Owner of following bikes:
            1980 Suzuki GS550ET
            1977 Yamaha RD 250D
            1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
            1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

When you do strip the threads in the oil pan ( and you will ) pull the pan and install a threaded steel insert to fix the threads. You pretty much eliminate the stripping problem. Believe me it works like a charm.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                When you do strip the threads in the oil pan ( and you will ) pull the pan and install a threaded steel insert to fix the threads. You pretty much eliminate the stripping problem. Believe me it works like a charm.
                Retap the threads or are you talking about something like this?

81' GS850L

Comment

Working...
                X