GS850 Owner's Manual with Searchable Text

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 Owner's Manual with Searchable Text

This is only my second post, but I've been reaping the knowledge on this forum for about a month now and I'm hoping I might be able to contribute something useful:
    MEGA provides free cloud storage with convenient and powerful always-on privacy. Claim your free 20GB now

I ran the 850 Owner's manual PDF that I got from BassCliff's site through an Optical Text Recognition program. The result is you can now type Ctrl+F and search the manual for keywords instead of having to scroll through to find the right section. For example you can search "Oil Filter" and it will tell you that phrase can be found on pages 12, 18, 20, and 32 in the contexts of suggested oil type, oil filter change procedure, and long-term storage procedure.

In case anyone is interested: this was done online with the website "Free-Online-OCR.com" which only processes ten pages at a time, so I had to save the manual into smaller files and run it multiple times, then recombine the files with the website "CombinePDF.com". This method would take a full days work to convert the factory service manual, but if any of you out there use the pro versions of adobe acrobat for work, you can use their OCR software for the entire 450+ pages in one go. If we don't have anyone on this site with access to that software, then I might slowly work at getting the 850 service manual run through.

I don't know how long I can host it at the link above, so I'm hoping Basscliff will find this useful enough to host it on his site.

Lastly, and I know the post is getting long here, but what the hell are these wires on my bike? In the first picture the two wires are both yellow with a green stripe, and they ran from the headlamp housing up the left side handlebar where the ends were taped up with electrical tape, but they didn't connect to anything but themselves.

In the second picture one wire is solid green and the other is red with a green stripe and they were found under the tank/seat somewhere. They run into the main wiring harness and I can't find where they lead to. They are not the two that connect to the fuel tank.

http://imgur.com/a/CiwfR
    http://imgur.com/a/TKLsl
    Last edited by JohnGS850L; 12-17-2016, 05:27 PM.
    81' GS850L

That is sweet John. I love being able to search PDFs. I believe I have the pro version on my desktop pc. I'll boot it up and look into it later this week. I need any excuse to not fix the stripped fuel screw on my carb. Can't help you with the wires but hopefully the PDF.

Comment

That could be very useful, thanks.
      ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Thank you for the time taken to prepare the searchable text version of the manual. I also find it very useful.

The yellow wire with green stripe goes from the starter button to the starter solenoid, and should go down the right hand side handlebar. It does not need to be on the left side handlebar.

The green wire and orange wire (not red) with green stripe are for the horns. There should be two sets of these wires, for each horn. Not sure why yours are under the seat - they should be under the fuel tank near the front where the horns are mounted to the frame.
        Last edited by 2BRacing; 12-21-2016, 03:41 AM.
        1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Originally posted by 2BRacing View Post
          Thank you for the time taken to prepare the searchable text version of the manual. I also find it very useful.

The yellow wire with green stripe goes from the starter button to the starter solenoid, and should go down the right hand side handlebar. It does not need to be on the left side handlebar.

The green wire and orange wire (not red) with green stripe are for the horns. There should be two sets of these wires, for each horn. Not sure why yours are under the seat - they should be under the fuel tank near the front where the horns are mounted to the frame.
          Thank you very much! There is only one horn on my bike so that makes sense that the second of the pair isn't hooked up to anything. I don't know why the wires that are supposed to run from the starter button to the starter solenoid are there loose. The bike starts up just fine via the button. The previous owner had done the stator and rectifier/regulator mod. I'm unfamiliar with that but would he have put in different wires for the starter and left the old ones hanging?
          81' GS850L

Comment

No. The loose wires are likely from the "safety" switch on the clutch lever. Many of us bypass the switch so we don't have to pull the clutch lever to be able to use the electric starter.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve that's exactly what they are. I'll find a better solution than electrical tape for them. It looks tacky.
              81' GS850L

Comment

Alright so I finally got around to converting the manual to a searchable PDF. If anyone in is interested in a searchable version of any of the manuals you find on BassCliffs website send me a PM with your request. If this gets enough interest maybe BassCliff can host them on his site.

Comment

Thanks Kodak! I may have some unfortunate news... Just today I went to open up the searchable owners manual, and accidentally opened the factory service manual and hit control+F only to find that it does indeed already have searchable text, haha. I hope it wasn't a huge effort for you!
                  81' GS850L

Comment

I'm lucky enough to have the software available that does this job without having to split the files into several pdf's. Also made a thread about it not too long ago, just wanted to let you know. Bikecliff also downloaded them and will be adding them to his site

Comment

Working...
                    X