Gs1000 camshaft sprocket plastic chipped off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs1000 camshaft sprocket plastic chipped off

Once again I am in need of the infinite wisdom from the wonderful people on this site. I was doing the top end on my gs1000 and figured I would split the cases while I was at it to inspect everything and found a small piece of plastic in the oil pan. After searching and searching for the source I tracked it down to the plastic on the exhaust cam sprocket. The tip of it just chipped off at some point. So my question is what exactly are these plastic pieces doing and should I get a new/used sprocket or will it be just fine the way it is? I attached a photo and you can see the tip where it chipped off. Thank you for any insight.

-Shane
    Attached Files

Amazing you actually found where it went. I've never heard of this issue before but I'm curious to hear what everyone has to say. How does the rest of the plastic on the cams look/feel?
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

The rest of the plastic feels like it's attached solidly and there are no unusual wear marks to inidicate if it was rubbing or something to that affect. It's a clean break too.

Comment

I didn't know those were there. They aren't on my bike. Suffice to say that the destruction may continue and if a piece should get jammed in between a sprocket and chain, possible damage could result. If it were my bike, I would either replace or find a way to remove the plastic completely, maybe get different sprockets. The plastic must be there for noise abatement.
        NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
        Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

The plastic is there for noise/vibration damping. The occasional piece can crack off. It's not hard enough to do any damage in my experience.
          Occasionally you're lucky enough to find a bit in the sump. Mostly it finishes up on the oil pump pickup screen where it does no harm.
          On a race motor where you may be slotting the cam sprockets a long way, I usually remove all of it.Then redo the timing marks....
          I wouldn't bother touching it in this case. Your call anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
            The plastic is there for noise/vibration damping. The occasional piece can crack off. It's not hard enough to do any damage in my experience.
            Occasionally you're lucky enough to find a bit in the sump. Mostly it finishes up on the oil pump pickup screen where it does no harm.
            On a race motor where you may be slotting the cam sprockets a long way, I usually remove all of it.Then redo the timing marks....
            I wouldn't bother touching it in this case. Your call anyway.

Awesome, thank you for the info.

Comment

Working...
            X