Clutch replacement diy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch replacement diy

Hey guys, so the clutch on my 1980 GS550 is on its way out and ill have to be doing it soon. I'm pretty mechanically inclined but this will be my first time doing a clutch on a motorcycle. Where can I find to guide to help me along if I get stuck?

There should be detailed instructions in the workshop manual.

Soak the new friction plates in oil for a few hours before you put them in.
    Current:
    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Also, if you leave the bike on the side stand, you will not need to drain the oil before removing the clutch cover.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'm just asking, as if you are not too familiar with motorcycle mechanics, why you think the clutch plates need replacing?

These bikes have very very good clutches. I've never seen one with worn plates - although I'm sure there are some out there.

Have you adjusted the clutch actuator arm and the cables correctly? Have you filled the engine with synthetic oil? Do you have fuel leaking into your sump? Check these first before you replace anything unnecessarily.
        Richard
        sigpic
        GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
        GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
        GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
        GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
        Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
        Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

On my 850, I only put in a new spring set, and they are so much stronger I only replaced every other one, just three out of the six. No problems at all. Find out if the 1981 GS850 uses the same springs, I could send you the other three.

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
            Have you filled the engine with synthetic oil?
            Why do you think that this makes a difference? We have FIVE motorcycles active in the stable. Four of them are GSes. ALL of the bikes are running synthetic oil. NO PROBLEMS.

Originally posted by wymple View Post
            On my 850, I only put in a new spring set, and they are so much stronger I only replaced every other one, just three out of the six. No problems at all. Find out if the 1981 GS850 uses the same springs, I could send you the other three.
            Apparently those are not stock springs. Yes, many get the "heavy-duty" springs, then just put in half of them to ease the pull on the lever. Personally, I would rather use the proper springs and use all of them to spread the load around the disks.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I don't have a problem running synthetic oil in my Lear Jet. But in my little Japanese internal combustion engine, I'll use the oil the engine was designed to run. Regular non synthetic Dino oil. 👍
              My Motorcycles:
              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
              79 1000e (all original)
              82 850g (all original)
              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
                I'm just asking, as if you are not too familiar with motorcycle mechanics, why you think the clutch plates need replacing?

These bikes have very very good clutches. I've never seen one with worn plates - although I'm sure there are some out there.

Have you adjusted the clutch actuator arm and the cables correctly? Have you filled the engine with synthetic oil? Do you have fuel leaking into your sump? Check these first before you replace anything unnecessarily.
                I've tried adjusting it a few times and although I could feel the difference the adjustment makes the clutch just always feels worn. It's always had its catch point right at the end and now it started slipping on hard acceleration.
                The bike has about 20,000 miles and I know the previous owner wasn't the best at riding, she probably wasn't very easy on the clutch.

Comment

Just curious if you adjusted the clutch per the service manual. My son told me his 83 KZ1100 needed a new clutch because it slipped on hard acceleration. Bike only has 19k miles so first thing I did was loosen the cable so it had max slack. Then per the Service manual started the adjustment at the clutch and moved my way up. No more slipping under had acceleration and saved him a couple of hundred dollars.

Please don't be offended but you admitted that you are new to motorcycle mechanics. That is why we are suggesting a proper, per the manual, clutch adjustment before you start replacing expensive parts. It costs nothing and if it still slips? Well at least you know you exhausted all of the cheap and easy stuff first.

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                    I don't have a problem running synthetic oil in my Lear Jet. But in my little Japanese internal combustion engine, I'll use the oil the engine was designed to run. Regular non synthetic Dino oil. 
                    I used synthetic oil in the 1000E when I owned it, didn't have any problems, bikes seem to run hotter in Florida because it's generally hotter, so I felt it could handle the heat
                    better.
                    sigpic
                    Steve
                    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Working...
                    X