Motorcycle carrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Efordman View Post
    I have a 5*8 trailer that I can use to haul it but then I risk it getting stolen.. money is tight that's why I was looking at the hitch carrier... It lifts the bike up and everything so no ramps to go up and risk it falling over
    I doubt that the trailer is at any greater risk of being stolen than your bike.

As Cowboyup says, it appears that your mind was made up before you posted your question.

All I ask is that you please get a good video of the bike when it breaks off the back of your car while going down the road.
    You will be using a light-duty hitch and subjecting it to a heavy load, not to mention the unnecessary wear you will be causing to the bike.

Good luck, but I will be watching for the video.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My mind is not made up yet... I have my concerns and value all opinions that have been posted... I have not bought anything yet... My concerns are for the bike and car... I will not risk either if it doesn't feel safe enough or if there is a risk to transmission or hitch damage... I'm open to other ideas on the subject also... A trailer is what im trying to avoid on the trips

Comment

I would like to see that video as well!

Comment

Originally posted by Efordman View Post
          My mind is not made up yet... I have my concerns and value all opinions that have been posted... I have not bought anything yet... My concerns are for the bike and car... I will not risk either if it doesn't feel safe enough or if there is a risk to transmission or hitch damage... I'm open to other ideas on the subject also... A trailer is what im trying to avoid on the trips
          The only other best option I can see is also the most fun one - RIDE IT out. That bike will make those trips and much longer ones too. Go have fun exploring the back roads while you go with the family
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

A trailer is your best option. You can get something small enough that it wouldn't be difficult to move around by hand once you arrive at your destinations. The hitch mounted carrier is just scary. Plus the amount of work involved disconnecting the chain, etc, you'd have much less time invested per trip just loading and unloading the bike onto a trailer. A length of chain and a lock will deter theft of the trailer, even a hitch lock. If you want to be extra sure trailer won't be stolen, take the wheels off.

Comment

It would be cool to take our bikes with us for a $120 investment but it just aint gonna happen...safely. Are you in the market for a truck ?
              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I have a very sharp 96 f250 short bed extended cab with the big block 460 in it... If money wasn't an issue I would be taking it with the bike in back... Air cruise lumbar support captain's seat in the front with fold down rear bench seat big enough for a twin mattress to fit... But at 10 miles per gallon it's not the best choice... That's why I'm trying to work it out with our kia soul and the bike... I'm still looking for a smaller trailer and other options on the hitch carrier... I have seen several very shady ones that I would not trust... There are also several that are overbuilt and weigh a ton... I need light weight portable and easy to store... I will be looking into the smaller harbor freight trailer(4*4???) ...I actually traded a 4*8 harbor freight trailer that I paid 140$ for ,for the bike and definitely ended up with the better deal the U-Haul trailer is a good idea if they will rent it to me to pull with the car then turn it in down there and rent it again when I leave

Comment

Working...
                X