Mysterious Hole in engine case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mysterious Hole in engine case

First - let me apologize if this counts as a double post. I originally asked this in the rebuild forum, but I am afraid that the question may not be seen by someone with the answer. I'm rebuilding my 1982 GS850GL and came across a small hole and would like to what it is for and if I should try to clean the area that it leads to.

Does anyone know what the hole is under the starter on a 1982 GS850GL? I pulled the starter as there was some debris next to where the wire goes under the cover for the starter and found that there was a small 7/16" or so hole on the engine case. The same hole is on a spare engine I have. It seemed there was a small 1/8" vent tube going into the hole, and also seemed like debris could get in there.

image (1).jpg

drain hole.........
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Believe it or not the official name for that is the ' Mystery Hole '
      Stops the starter motor getting flooded and drains the vent tube from the drive gearbox.
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

By George, that is what it is. I would never have thought of that. Thank you.

more information that I found, now that I know what it is:
        This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Comment

Woohoo! It must be almost spring -- we've got a Mystery Hole question!

The thread from 2008 you linked to explains all...
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

It seems like spring here in Decatur. It's been 60+ degrees (with the exception of this weekend) for almost 2 weeks. I'm glad to get this mystery solved though, I can move on to other important things like cleaning the tank and replacing the engine.

Comment

Can you see Stator poking his head out the Mystery Hole looking for his shadow
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

No, but I did pull a pretty well-done grasshopper from that area.

Comment

Working...
                X