Oil level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil level

I just dropped my oil and tried a different type of Rotella. Think it's just the T, believe I had the T5 in it previously but they didn't have it in stock and read this is better stuff. I have ran K&N oil filters no problem, but this time I figured I would run the OEM type. When I poured the oil in, I went to half of the sight glass, started it and checked the glass, it wasn't showing at all cold or warmed. Now with almost the whole 5L container poured in, probably half quart left its still not showing..No oil leaks either.

I ran it, no loud noises or anything
    I'm guessing its just the type of oil thats in it now.

You probably have it overfilled. The oil may look a bit clear and it is above the sight glass.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
    1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

yu put 5 litres in? Yu over filled.....
      a lean to the left will eventually show this on the sight glass.
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Dump some of the oil and start over. You definitely overfilled it. Don't run the bike until you have. Possible to hydro-lock the engine if you don't
        http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
        1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Actually the container is 3.5qts, the 850 according to the manual calls for 3.8qts.

Cold on center stand the glass is full. Running, off stand, centered its not reading at all.

And I still am having issues with a small leak from oil filter cover, had issues with k&n filter orings and still do even with oem. Really annoying how it's so hard to find the correct diameter oring

Comment

Oil level is read while on the center stand. All will read low on the side stand. 3.5qts? Really? Never saw a Rotella container with that amount. All the larger containers I've seen are 1 gallon (4 quarts or 3.785L).

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Oh yeah youre correct.
              I was going by the sight window on the container.
              Either way, 3.8qts is the manual
              My guess is the different oil?

Comment

Volume is volume. Differences in oil will have no bearing on fill level.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

You can't get an accurate reading with the bike running because some of the oil is moving through the engine and not sitting in the pan. Motor off on the center stand is how the manual says to check the level.
                  Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                  2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                  1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

So no oil on the sight running is ok?

Comment

yes as its all up in the top end and in the various passages.
                      1983 GS 550 LD
                      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

If I recall, my 1150 manual says a minute after the warm engine is shut off is when to check.
                        Plenty of times, ive started it in cool weather, and the window goes completely empty until its warm, and the oil thins.
                        sigpic
                        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                        -Rusty old scooter.
                        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Wow. Can't believe you were trying to measure the oil level with the engine running. Just for future reference: No vehicle I've ever seen had you check the oil level with the engine running.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Drained that junk and went with Valvoline 20w50. Such a difference. Much quieter, shifts are quieter and smoother. My new oil.
                            Cost me $25 for 4 quarts though. IMO well worth it.

Comment

When was the last valve adjustment?? The Rotella should have not made it make noise and adding a different weight oil is NOT the answer. Please post back all the required maintenance you have personally done...not what a previous owner or shop claims to have done. Many many hundrfeds of us run the Rotella oil and your the first that has posted a disdain for it.
                              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                              X