GS650L - Intake valve not seating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650L - Intake valve not seating

I have had this 1981 GS650L for a couple of years now tinkering with the engine and bringing things up to spec. I am now having an issue with the #3 intake valve.

When I got the bike, valve clearance on this valve was 0.05mm which I adjusted to 0.10 mm. The bike was running well until it suddenly wasn't. I have rechecked all of the valve clearances and they have stayed as previously measured except for the #3 intake valve. This valve is now 0.24mm which is in agreement with the loss of compression in this cylinder. I tries to send a camera through the spark plug hole, but could not get a good look at the valve.

Hand cranking the engine to move the valves, it it is very difficult to rotate the engine as the #3 intake cam starts to engage the valve.

Is it time to tear down the engine?
    Blog of my motorcycle projects - http://twowheeljunkie.wordpress.com/
    1981 Suzuki GS650L - Project Bike - Sold
    2013 Suzuki SFV650 - Sold
    2016 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Touring

So, if you adjust the valve to back in spec, does the compression go up? If you add oil to that cylinder, does the compression go up? What tool did you use to do the valve adjustment originally? Did you use the zip tie method? If so, you may have had some carbon debris left over from the adjustment that threw the measurement off.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Dave,

I believe you are saying the valve does not come all of the way back up now

If it's stuck like that, it's time to take the head off

I take it you did not see any other items that shouldn't be there when you looked in the cylinder?
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Yes, the valve does not appear to be coming back up all the way. Top of the piston looked fine and nothing inside the cylinder.

Comment

Maybe the bucket is stuck somehow (debris?)- rotate cam lobe away from it and see if you can fiddle bucket up and down.
          Seems odd that it was running ok and then......
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The bucket spins freely and can push it down easily with the bucket depressor tool, but does not help restore the proper valve clearance.

Comment

Working...
            X