No announcement yet.

1983 1100E cam chain tensinoner seals installed with tensioner still on bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 1100E cam chain tensinoner seals installed with tensioner still on bike

Got my motor stripped for a paint job. No carbs exh etc. Bought OEM seals for the cam chain tensioner. Put cyls 1 and 4 to "T". Ran the Lock Screw in tight to hold the plunger. Went to remove bolts . Top bolt of tensioner body loosened fine. Bottom would have broke. Definately could feel it was not turning. So keeping in mind the Lock Screw is tight holding the plunger I then wnet on opposite side and removed the Lock Shaft assembly in its entirety. I took it apart- cleaned lubed and installed new seal and O ring. Then I reassembled spring exactly to the service manual. Re installed lock shaft assembly to torque spec. Next I removed Locking Screw and installed the small O ring on it. Installed till bottomed out then reversed little over 1/4 turn and tightened the Lock NUT. All this done on centerstand at TDC. The base gasket was not leaking so Im not too distraught. STILL BUGS ME THE BOLT IS SEIZED IN but I didnt turn it much. Bike wont be runnable till late May. I see nothing wrong but what do you guys think???????
    Last edited by mharrington; 04-01-2017, 06:24 PM.

I'm not happy here! Your method might work, but I like to have tensioner out so I can cuddle it in my hands and know it will function as designed when tensioner is reinstalled and lock screw is released.
    try a small vice-grip (end on) to bite into that stubborn screw and break it free.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

PB blaster is your friend.

V
      Gustov
      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
      81 GS 1000 G
      79 GS 850 G
      81 GS 850 L
      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
      80 GS 550 L
      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
      2002 Honda 919
      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

The bolt was turning but I could feel it was not un threading but rather the bolt shaft was twisting as in if I kept going it would shear. Believe me I want to take it off. I dont know how to get any PB at the threads.

Comment

Originally posted by mharrington View Post
          I see nothing wrong but what do you guys think???????
          I think you went to too much trouble and the only thing you saved was a tensioner gasket.

Like Tom, I like to have it in-hand to make sure it's working. I have had one that wasn't, and definitely would not have discovered that by using your method.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve I dont know if you saw but Im certain the lower mount bolt would have broke off in its threaded hole. I bought a new gasket from Suzuki and was intending to remove the unit. Ill turn it over by hand and verify no jumping of teeth. If I break off the lower bolt the bike will have to be taken in to have it drilled out and repaired. I dont know if it can be drilled with the cyls on the case.

Comment

Working...
            X