82 850GL head gasket questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 850GL head gasket questions

I grabbed a Vesrah head gasket for the 82 GS850, but I am doubting its usefulness. On the bike there are 2 head bolts/studs that have o rings on them at the top of the cylinder. I didn't get these and am not finding what they are on the parts fiches. I also did not get the rubber o rings that go inside the copper rings on the gaskets.

I know this is a bad ring, the pic is for reference. I had to send the original order back to be replaced.

I am guessing these are important? Does anyone know where to get these or part numbers?
    Last edited by Guest; 04-03-2017, 11:53 AM.

If it were me, I wouldn't use that head gasket. OEM is the way to go with head and base gaskets. You are changing the base gasket as well... Right?

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I am replacing the base gasket as well. My problem with the OEM gaskets is that it seems the metal that they are made of appears to be gold or maybe platinum based on the price being charged.

Comment

Do you think the OEM comes with the head stud o rings or the ones that go in the copper rings?

Comment

Originally posted by jdion81 View Post
          I am replacing the base gasket as well. My problem with the OEM gaskets is that it seems the metal that they are made of appears to be gold or maybe platinum based on the price being charged.
          Money well spent though.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by jdion81 View Post
            $85 for an OEM head gasket from Parts Outlaw. Why the heck is your HG $20 cheaper than the 750 HG?!?
            Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
            2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
            1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by hannibal View Post
              $85 for an OEM head gasket from Parts Outlaw. Why the heck is your HG $20 cheaper than the 750 HG?!?
              Use promo code BANG and you'll only pay about a buck for shipping. I think the new OEM head gasket doesn't use any O-rings around the two cylinder studs. If it does then it comes with the head gasket. You do need the o-ring for the center tunnel. There are two o-rings that are needed for the base gasket though.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                Use promo code BANG and you'll only pay about a buck for shipping.
                They have raised that.

A whopping 50%.

Yep, my order last week cost me a buck and a half for shipping.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  They have raised that.

A whopping 50%.

Yep, my order last week cost me a buck and a half for shipping.

What a rip-off!! LOL

Comment

Working...
                  X