G and GK the Same?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G and GK the Same?

Hello everyone! I have a quick question regarding engine specs. The tittle for my bike says "mc" not sure what that means. The badge on the bike says gs 1100 g. I bent my intake valves and need to get 4 good ones. Are the shaft drives all interchangeable? What is a good website to order from?

You should have gotten a title for your bike, not a tittle, but that's OK. The "MC" simply means it's a MotorCycle.

The "1100G" on the badge tells me that you have an '82-'84 GS1100G. Great bike.

How did you bend the valves? If the cam timing was off, you will want to be sure it is correct when you put it back together.

Not all the shaft drives are interchangeable, but are you asking specifically about the driveshaft or all the parts on the shaft-driven bikes?

There are many places to order parts, one of the forum favorites is Parts Outlaw. When you get to the checkout window, enter the word "BANG", your shipping will be $1.50, instead of their flat-rate $9.99.

Finally, to the subject line: As far as the GS1100 is concerned, the "G" says it's a shaft-driven model, the "GK" says that it's basically the same bike, but has the frame-mounted fairing, saddlebags and trunk.
    There were a few changes to accomodate the accessories, but the basic bike is the same.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Parts Outlaw is a great site, but they are no longer honoring the discounted shipping with 'BANG'.

I wonder if the OP meant to ask "are the valves from all shaft drives interchangeable?"

I only know the intake and exhaust valves are slightly different diameters on the 1100G. Buying used valves runs the risk of buying something with wear, resulting in some wiggle/slop in your valves. I believe new valves are about $20/piece.

A good place to look for replacement parts is Z1Enterprises.com - they are not an OEM retailer, but they have quality repair/maintenance parts for our old bikes.

Some things are worth spending extra for OEM on. I don't know if valves fall in that category so I would search the forum (or search Google using site:thegsresources.com)

I'm glad you mentioned the tittle. The 'L' models get hated on a lot here, even by me sometimes. But so far I only got tittle with my '82 650L, so I guess that says something. But that thread belongs in the Vortex...
      Last edited by Guest; 04-09-2017, 11:25 AM.

Comment

The only major change between the 1100G engine and the 1100GK is the larger motor mount bores to accommodate the rubber vibration isolators. Other than that, the engine internals are virtually identical.
        http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
        1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Thank You for clearing that up. First timer right here haha. I bent the valves from thinking I had a fixed cam chain tensioner. Its not. The spring on the outside is missing however. Is that a problem? The part that goes in the motor and presses up against the chain is fine.

Comment

You DEFINITELY need that spring. The spring loads the mechanism that basically comprises the "one-way" action for the tensioner plunger.
            Without that spring, the tensioner plunger is free to move in both directions, which is NOT good.

So, ... which bike do you have?

As it turns out, all of the 8-valve 1000s and 1100s share the same intake valve part number.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I ordered a new cam chain tensioner. That's why it skipped and bent some valves I bet. It is a 82 gs 1100 g, turned in a bobber. That is good to know! I plan to get a few more of these GS bikes Thank you everyone for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by toaster120 View Post
                I ordered a new cam chain tensioner. That's why it skipped and bent some valves I bet. It is a 82 gs 1100 g, turned in a bobber. That is good to know! I plan to get a few more of these GS bikes Thank you everyone for the help!
                I hope you ordered a new 'used' cam chain tensioner? I just got one from eBay for $11.00. Mine was missing the nut that holds the knob and spring on, so effectively it was working the same as yours. I don't know how long it was like that, but I did hear some odd chatter from the engine. It hasn't run all that much with the odd noise so I may have avoided damage.

Comment

Yup I ordered a new used one off ebay for about the same price. Think you beat me on the find though. Should be here today or tomorrow!

Comment

Working...
                  X