looking for tips and pointers on top end rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking for tips and pointers on top end rebuild

OK my GS 850 lost compression in all cylinders I'm running at 75psi and 65 on cylinder 4 with a major leak down but holds when I put oil down the cylinder and boosted up to 120. I had feeling this day would come because my father ran it in 1\4 mile stock drags for suzuki back in the late 80s. So I know my rings are done now can I run aftermarket gaskets cause I'm not rich or else I would not be asking I know I need a OEM head cover gasket because of the tach witch is already new last year. If you know good sites to get qulity reproduction parts. I already have someone who can plane the head and cylinder. I should not have to bore because the bike has 19000 original miles i will be measuring oval out though and I plan on running OEM rings unless I can get a good set of chrome molly rings for close to the same price if you know where I can get them let me know. But should the head gasket be OEM I can't find anything on crush down thicknesses on the specs for different gaskets. What's the best rought here and what are some different problems I might run into during the rebuild I've rebuilt car engines harleys and single lungers I haven't done a inline four bike engine. Any help would be greatly apeciated.

Use OEM gaskets or you'll be faced with redoing the work later once it starts leaking on you.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
      Use OEM gaskets or you'll be faced with redoing the work later once it starts leaking on you.
      +1 look on eBay for nos oem parts

Comment

The GS850 can use an aftermarket valve cover gasket since the tach drive is not in the valve cover. +2 on using only OEM head and base gaskets.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

OK I'll get OEM gaskets dose anyone know where I can get chrome molly rings I do know once broke in they last a lot longer than the stock rings

Comment

Working...
          X