What would cause this breakage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would cause this breakage?

First off, sorry this is an ebay auction that I'm referring to, but I'm on the look out for a spoked wheeled suzi with kickstart...just because.
    In this auction the 10th pic shows the points plate popped out....it doesn't look like a tip over so much as a blow up.
    What would/could cause this? {trying to overlook their Buell too-lol- always liked buells for some reason}
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/371936662004?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageNa me=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

guard rail, brick hedge, curbing it, trash can, hitting a trailer hitch, getting ticked and hitting with a sledge, if you asked Giorgio Tsoukalos....it was ancient aliens.

Comment

You can see the remainder of the sheared off cover screws that are still in the cases.....plus the lower cases are smashed so this indicates a fall / slide.

Not sure if they've filled out the WI Motorcycle Buyers Guide incorrectly, but there's a LOT of things they've tick as having issues (shifting problems, charging system, starting, clutch, ECM, etc....)
      Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

"Hole in block"

Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
        2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
        1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by hannibal View Post
          Probably relates to the cracked case behind the points cover.
          Current:
          Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
          VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
            Probably relates to the cracked case behind the points cover.

Agreed....it's a small amount that would need to be filled in with weld or something....{a cover would help too}. What worries me about issues...aside from the tick on the missing windshield-lol} is if the point drive is toast behind the plate.....she's fairly clean and would hate to see her go to pieces - literally {parted out}.
            Saw the remnants of the cover screws...figuring the jolt it took that they'd be somewhat easy to remove. This place gets some interesting hardware in, but is quick to ding a subject if it can't run. They had an '89 suzi 1100 not long ago that was an inop motor...said motor was froze but the ad said the starter was shot. I asked them if they could bump it over in gear but they wouldn't try...that one woulda been mine if it turned over from bumping.

Comment

The advancer mechanism will be toast - it bolts on to the end of the crank so it's unlikely the crank would be damaged - just the mechanism. You would have to obviously replace the points plate and advancer.....and repair the case....new cover.

Always hard to say just looking at pictures but if it has a clear title and you can get it for a decent price it might be a good deal.
              Current:

Past:

Comment

IDK, Hillsy, the advance unit slips over the end of the crank and it appears to be bent. Bent crank, broken cases, what could go wrong?

I'd offer him $100, does it have a title?
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                  IDK, Hillsy, the advance unit slips over the end of the crank and it appears to be bent. Bent crank, broken cases, what could go wrong?

I'd offer him $100, does it have a title?
                  They say it has a clear title.

The advancer unit bolts onto the end of the crank, not over it:

Current:

Past:

Comment

The bolt that holds the advancer to the crank will be snapped off in the end of the crank. Also the right foot peg is bent back, its had a spill !. It would be a shame to scrap it, looks to be in reasonable condition. With any luck the crank will be ok. Question, why do you yanks cut good mufflers?, they are hard to get in good condition in UK.
                    My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Originally posted by uk gs nut View Post
                      The bolt that holds the advancer to the crank will be snapped off in the end of the crank. Also the right foot peg is bent back, its had a spill !. It would be a shame to scrap it, looks to be in reasonable condition. With any luck the crank will be ok. Question, why do you yanks cut good mufflers?, they are hard to get in good condition in UK.
                      ...your side of the pond or here...they're hard to find in mint shape!
                      I looked at the end of the peg...saw no tearing or scraping on the rubber - you can see the end of the throttle grip is gone though....pipes aren't scratched nor the tank...I'd also expect the foot brake to be pushed in if she went down hard on that side....looks ok.

Comment

Aside from looking at the mentioned GS 750, there's a GS300{...or was it a 350} and a 650 suzi thumper {no title} on their auction site too.
                        they get some interesting stuff there from time to time. Watching the rustang too just to see what she goes for....and ok, the buell.

Comment

Working...
                        X