Would you use this head gasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you use this head gasket?

Bought a gasket set off Ebay from a shop I've seen mentioned on GSR. I asked whether any of the gaskets were folded or creased and was told they weren't. Then I get this in the mail. (Pics taken through the plastic bag.)

The layers seem to have separated a bit and that really scares me. Would you guys use this or send it back?

Also, the manual says the rings come in "N" and "R" varieties. First, I couldn't find any markings on the oil ring spacer, but if this is the N type, I must have the R type.

But please tell me what type these are. Looks like R H on the middle ring (top of the pic) and R N on the top ring (bottom of pic). All the others are R type. These came together in the same box.

Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1973 BMW R75/5

That head gasket is the Multi Layer Steel variety. It's fine.

The rings are most likely fine too, but I'm not sure what's going on with the lettering. The chrome ring is the top one.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

good buy, original Suzuki gasket sets are getting hard to find
      and are the best ones to use.
      Head gasket is fine, they are supposed to look like that.
      Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
      VM Carb rebuild tutorial
      Bikecliff's website
      The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

With the MLS gasket they do recommend that the head is flat and the finish on both the head and Barrels/jugs is a good fine finish and you do not use the cam tunnel oring
        The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
        1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
        past bikes. RF900
        TL1000s
        Hayabusa
        gsx 750f x2
        197cc Francis Barnett
        various British nails

Comment

Originally posted by fastbysuzuki View Post
          With the MLS gasket they do recommend that the head is flat and the finish on both the head and Barrels/jugs is a good fine finish and you do not use the cam tunnel oring
          Good information. Where do you find something like that out at?

Comment

Thanks!

Originally posted by fastbysuzuki View Post
            Could you explain this a bit more?
            Jordan

2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
            1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by hannibal View Post
              Thanks! Could you explain this a bit more?
              have a look here if you look around for surface finish for MLS gasket there are many write ups.

when you use the MLS gasket on the 850 May be orders as well there is no need to use the cam tunnel oring as the gasket covers the area where the oring sits as recommended by suzuki.
              1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
              past bikes. RF900
              TL1000s
              Hayabusa
              gsx 750f x2
              197cc Francis Barnett
              various British nails

Comment

Thanks for the additional info.

I also found that one of the O rings on the head gasket around the outer studs is missing. Time to return? I see a few on Ebay with just 3 out of the 4 while others have all four like the gasket I removed.

Jordan

2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

If you want to go through the hassle.... personally I'd just just get another o-ring. Probably just nitrile/ Buna-n - or maybe viton. But then again I'd just have to go through my garage to find one.
                  -1980 GS1100 LT
                  -1975 Honda cb750K
                  -1972 Honda cl175
                  - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Originally posted by Tom R View Post
                    If you want to go through the hassle.... personally I'd just just get another o-ring. Probably just nitrile/ Buna-n - or maybe viton. But then again I'd just have to go through my garage to find one.
                    Those O rings should be Viton, nitrile will not take the heat.
                    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Thanks. Found some O rings on Amazon.
                      Jordan

2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                      1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Early in the thread it was stated this was a MLS gasket the last MLS I fitted was Oem and had no provision for orings.
                        is this a fibre compound gasket? if so you need to use the cam tunnel oring.
                        1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                        past bikes. RF900
                        TL1000s
                        Hayabusa
                        gsx 750f x2
                        197cc Francis Barnett
                        various British nails

Comment

From what I've read, this is an OEM MLS gasket. I've read about them before, but this is my first time changing a head gasket on any engine. The gasket looks just like the one I took off so I'm not to concerned with fastbysuzuki's comments about the mating surfaces. With that said, I had the rectangular O ring on the motor with the MLS gasket. There's an indentation on the jugs to fit the O ring and the gasket sits on top of this. I plan to use both the O ring and gasket.

I am a bit concerned about the missing O ring on the stud. The O rings included with the gasket are less O-ish and more flat rubber disc. Found one of similar size so fingers crossed it compresses to similar shape and does the job.

My goal for the day is to do a final wash of the head with simple green then rinse with water and dry with compressed air, then lap the valves into the head and set aside as ready to go. I'll pull the jugs off and do a final cleaning, then hone the cylinders when my flex hone arrives on Tuesday.

Again, this is uncharted territory for me. I just half to use the forum's advice along with what common sense applies to a motor and go for it. We've all heard "measure twice, cut once" and I have read and watched vids several times and now I'm ready to act. I'm just afraid of using an incompatible part (head gasket), which is the source for these seemingly simple questions.
                          Jordan

2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                          1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

I was not sure if the cam tunnel oring needed to be fitted when using the MLS gasket so I contacted suzuki GB technical and they said the tunnel oring was not needed. But hay the choice is yours. Having said that the one I fitted did not have provision for stud orings/seals
                            1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                            past bikes. RF900
                            TL1000s
                            Hayabusa
                            gsx 750f x2
                            197cc Francis Barnett
                            various British nails

Comment

Working...
                            X