Installing Engine into Frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Engine into Frame

My 850GLX motor is together (again) and time to mount into the frame. For my last go round, I laid it on its side for the removal/installation which wasn't too bad of an ordeal. But now, I can't do it that way.

To remove the motor, the shop manual says "lift the engine up and out the right side of the frame: be careful not to scar the upper or lower frame tubes." Installation is the reverse, of course. Uh-huh...

So getting the motor out that way entailed a whole lot of fidgeting with a couple of floor jacks, different sized pieces of wood and colorful language. Before going down that road again, does anyone have tips or tricks? Oh yeah, there are no extra hands available - just mine. Thanks.

I used foam pipe insulation taped on my frame to protect it. I helps if you have 2 people, of course, to lift it in from the right side. I slid mine on two 1/2" boards that I ran under the engine on the jack over into the frame. Also a jack under the engine once it is close will help a lot. Good luck!
    Ron
    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!https://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/core/images/smilies/cool.png
    1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
    1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
    1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

I use card board wrapped and taped in place.

Here is what I do now thanks to an old member and his youtube posts. I can have an engine in and all the bolts installed in under 13 minutes...i have been timed doing it.

This is the easy way to do it.I use an automotive floor jack, a short piece of 2 X 6 under the engine with short pieces of wood to level the engine and jack ...

Installation.

Next time, I will stabilize the bike frame some more. If it would have stopped moving all over the place, it would go much smoother.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Post 5 in this thread shows my roll up to the frame engine stand. Top is level with the top of the frame tubes. I use a 2X6 on my floor jack between the tubes under the oil pan and set that just a tad above the top of the tubes. With the cam cover off it gives another good inch to clear the top tube above the engine. I wiggle the engine in from the right side till its getting onto the 2X6. Then i straddle over the top tube so I can get a hand on ech side and wiggle and shimmy it into place.

Get the lower trans bolt lined up and shove it through and finger start the nut. Use the jack to position the front bolts and brackets and slam them home. Set the rest of the bolts and youre all done except tightening them down.

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Nice! It's all the 'little things' that add up to make a huge difference when moving the engine in and out of the frame. Much appreciated and thanks.

Comment

Why didnt you rebuild it with the bottom end in the frame? seems to be the normal easier way

Last edited by Guest; 05-09-2017, 05:12 AM.

Comment

I'm new to the GS bikes but never heard/read about assembling the motor in the frame. It doesn't seem like there's enough room to operate, especially working around the frame rails with the pistons. Have you done a rebuild like that?

Comment

If Eric Bang can do it, ANYONE can!

Comment

If I'm doing it solo, I find it easier to lay the engine on its RHS and lower the frame down over it.

If I have a helper, then lifting the motor into the upright chassis is not too hard.
                  Current:
                  Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
                  VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                  And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Check my rebuild out, engine reassembly in frame

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

Starting at post #117 you can see what I did.

Just as Sharpy described.

Easiest way in my opinion.

But as you already have your motor assembled, leave the valve cover and breather off and use a milk crate and a piece of plywood and slide it in, easy peezy.

David.
                    Last edited by Kiwi Canuck; 05-09-2017, 01:24 AM.
                    2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
                    2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
                    1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
                    2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
                    1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
                    1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
                    1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
                    Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                      I use card board wrapped and taped in place.

Here is what I do now thanks to an old member and his youtube posts. I can have an engine in and all the bolts installed in under 13 minutes...i have been timed doing it.

This is the easy way to do it.I use an automotive floor jack, a short piece of 2 X 6 under the engine with short pieces of wood to level the engine and jack ...

Installation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIv9wonIViY
                      Ahhh classic Eric Bang. You can argue about his style but he did know how to do the darnedist things the "easy way".
                      http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                      1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
                        Last edited by Guest; 05-09-2017, 10:57 AM. Reason: Senior moment

Comment

Working...
                        X