Broke my secondary gear end...HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broke my secondary gear end...HELP

I had a leak inside my big rubber boot so I took every thing out and tried to remove the nut attached to the end of my secondary gear and it just snapped off. I found a whole new gear and housing but my bevel gear housing end won't clear the frame. Can I remove the engine mount bolts and prop everything up so it will slide out?, I'm not missing much to clear the frame. I don't wanna take the whole engine out.
    Attached Files

Check this out before you order another gear. The two are matched and shimmed to mesh well together and if you introduce another you will need to shim accordingly to mesh.

Here's a similar thread about getting the gear out on a "G". Post #14.
    Last edited by AMK; 06-10-2017, 06:57 PM.
    Alan

sigpic
    Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
    Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
    Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
    Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Mine is a solid piece. I'd have to drill in and tap it. Way too much work.

Comment

That's what I thought. Oh thank God. Oh really, it's not a standard size. Geez. This old bike is giving me a run for my money....and time. Lol

Originally posted by AMK View Post
        http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...pair_zooks.pdf

Check this out before you order another gear. The two are matched and shimmed to mesh well together and if you introduce another you will need to shim accordingly to mesh.

Here's a similar thread about getting the gear out on a "G". Post #14.

Comment

Research the work in shimming. I can help you with the drilling and tapping. PM me if youre interested.
          Alan

sigpic
          Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

If it's my last option I'll do it. Had to retap 4 of my 8 exaust engine mounts so I have the tools now. Lol. Bought an old bike to save money.....surprise I didn't. Haha

Comment

You'll definately save money in fuel.
              I bought my second bike when my secondary gear stud broke to ride while I fixed it.
              Now hopefully when one is down Ill have the other.
              I'm still ahead monetarily over a new bike but I don't count the hours in wrenching
              Alan

sigpic
              Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Working...
              X