It's ALIVE!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's ALIVE!!!!

Woo friggin' hoo y'all! I finally got my 850 to run right today! So in addition to not liking potato chip-shaped throttle valves, they apparently don't like crappy, old plug caps either. I replaced all four of mine with new NGK (two were almost 9K ohms, and the other two were about 18K ohms - a long way from the 5K ohm spec) along with another set of new plugs, and lo and behold, she purrs like a kitten! Nice, crisp throttle response off idle, it returns quickly to idle, and it transitions smoothly from idle to low throttle - so it's easy to ride slowly. I also installed new, genuine Mikuni pilot jets that are one size larger than stock, on the suggestion of one of the other members (can't remember who it was, and I wasn't able to find the conversation again when I looked. So thanks - whoever you are!). I haven't taken it out of the road for a real exercise yet, but all indications are good from several trips around the block in my neighborhood.

Thanks to everyone who has offered suggestions in response to my many postings on here. Y'all rock!

Scott

Awesome, now it's time to enjoy your labors.
    :cool:GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Hell yeah! So happy to read this!
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Congratulations; looking forward to the ride reports now
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
          Congratulations; looking forward to the ride reports now
          Gonna have to wait until after I go through the Stator Papers. My R/R wires are getting too warm, and I sure don't want to watch her go up in flames on the side of the road somewhere. Fortunately, I've read through that tutorial and feel pretty comfortable doing all that, so I don't think it's going to be a big deal.

So speaking of the R/R, another member recommends the Polaris SH775 (they're all over Ebay for $55.00 including shipping), which of course requires a different/separate plug adapter. Would you concur, or do you have a suggestion that you like better?

Comment

There's nothing wrong with the Polaris unit - I have one in mine and my daughter's bike. I also upgraded both fuse blocks to the Eastern Beaver model
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by MI GS850G guy View Post
              So speaking of the R/R, another member recommends the Polaris SH775 (they're all over Ebay for $55.00 including shipping), which of course requires a different/separate plug adapter. Would you concur, or do you have a suggestion that you like better?
              The SH775 is a good choice. Use the Triumph plug harness to connect to your OEM wiring and all will be wonderful.

Mark
              1982 GS1100E
              1998 ZX-6R
              2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

I just double-checked the listings on Ebay that are $55.00; there are several of them, and they all say "for....." which of course means they're not genuine Polaris. And jumping up to the genuine article is about $135 or so.

Comment

I just double-checked the listings on Ebay that are $55.00; there are several of them, and they all say "for....." which of course means they're not genuine Polaris. And jumping up to the genuine article is about $135 or so.
                  Get a used one for $40 or so

Comment

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
                    Get a used one for $40 or so
                    Just tried to send you a PM, but apparently your Inbox is full, so here it is....

Hi. Just got your advise about getting a used SH775. I like that idea. Right now, there is a "SH775BB" off of a 2015 HARLEY DAVIDSON STREET XG750. Any idea if it's compatible? I know there is also an "SH775AA".

Thanks for your help,
                    Scott

Comment

Shop around, prices vary. I bought mine for $97 CDN new from a local dealer a couple years ago and I can't imagine prices have gone up 50+% since then.

Mark
                      1982 GS1100E
                      1998 ZX-6R
                      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

$37 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-Rang...JZXqtm&vxp=mtr

$37 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-Rang...9ZVXEO&vxp=mtr

$37 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-RZR-...pZRSzz&vxp=mtr

$45 http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-11-pola...pXphbU&vxp=mtr

$48.88 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-RZR-...RYWXoG&vxp=mtr

This one even shows the SH775 in a picture.
                        $50 http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-polaris...JZPu9A&vxp=mtr

The list just keeps going on.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I got a used one recently for $16 shipped, genuine,but very dirty .
                          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I think I'm going to try a Compufire
                            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Any response to SH775AA vs ... BB? Are they all the same? I've also seen BA. Any difference in the suffixes?
                              Last edited by hannibal; 07-20-2017, 12:10 AM. Reason: BA too
                              Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                              2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                              1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Working...
                              X