'82 GS 650- What carbs work??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 GS 650- What carbs work??

Trying to figure out what carbs will work for my 1982 GS 650E. Mine are too far gone to rebuild. Bad corrosion. Will 850, 550 or 1000 carbs work if I change jets and needle settings? What years would work also?

Thanks for the help!

The others will have the incorrect main air jet and the main air jet is not replaceable. The 650 used 2mm main air jets while the others used smaller jets. You can drill them out to 2mm but you'll also have to replace most of the other jets as well. You'll also have an issue with carb spacing. The 1000 carbs will not work as they are BS34 carbs and yours are BS32.
    http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
    1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

550 ,650,750,850 used the bs32 carb. But as mentioned, bunch of stuff would need swapping.
      Just how bad are your carbs? Can you scare us with a pic? My carbs ain't pretty, but work fine.
      Got a salvage yard in your area, you might be better off than ebay fishing.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I'll shoot a picture tonight. They are pretty corroded. I might try and send them through the parts washer a few times to see if they are salvageable. Thanks for the help so far!

Comment

If it was me, I'd remove the carb top covers and carefully extract the fragile vacuum diaphragms before any part washer fun. Yoursmight be still good and worth keeping. Label each from the carb it came out of.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
          X