GS 850 -83 has spark, fuel and comp - will not fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 850 -83 has spark, fuel and comp - will not fire

Hi, as the title says - a 1983 GS 850 (bought 2011) with 9000 km that won't fire, even though it got spark, fuel and compression.

Short background: 2013 it started to run badly, mostly on 3 cyl, so with the help of two handbooks I managed to replace cylinder rings, gaskets, adjust valves, clean carbs etc. After reassebling it started on first try and ran smooth on all cylinders.

Last autumn I noticed it wouldn't run on cyl #3, but I let it be. This spring it - from time to time - neither would run on cyl #1. In addition to this it would'nt idle and was impossible to start within 10 minutes after stop. Of course this could be caused by up to two cylinders not fireing. I then discovered an oil leak btw top and block, which i guessed came from broken cyl head gasket.

I recently performed these tasks:
    • replaced the head gasket (was broken)
    • cleaned the carbs (checked float height)
    • checked valve clearance (all good)
    • replaced the r/r (which i discovered had a missing cable, probably since long before I bought it)
    • replaced spark plugs/caps
    • replaced ignition coils (had read that this could be the reason the bike is hard to start after running, though my old seemed to be good according to ohm-test)
    • replaced battery
    • removed the pre-muffler since it was to rusty to repair (had leaked a lot of exhaust smoke), I instead attached exhaust pipe from cyl #2 and #3 directly to exhaust pipe #1 resp #4

When trying to start after the above the only result, every five seconds or so (when running on starter), is bangs from the exhaust. That's it. Not even a "cough" from any cylinder.

I've done this:
    • (Double)checked ignition timing (eg cam shaft position in correlation to timing mark)
    • Sprayed starter fluid directly through carbs and start within 5 secs (no reaction what so ever)
    • Checked that spark plugs has a spark
    • Checked compression: cyl #1 120, #2 120, #3 90 (know this is too low, but the PSI is the same as before the maintenance ), #4 120 PSI
    • Can see that fuel (fresh 95 oct) reach all cylinders, spark plugs smell gas and I can see that cylinder head get moist/wet
    • Changed back to old ignition coils (which has been working)
    • Switched coil leads 1->4 (and then 2->3) just to...I don't know...
    • Changed back to old spark plugs

Of course there are one or several reasons of the bike not fireing, but what am I missing? Any ideas are more than welcome.

After a quick read... Since you replaced headgasket, doublecheck camshaft to crankshaft timing and aligment marks on camshaftS. Sitting on bike, the left ignition coil fires 1 and 4, no mixing!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      After a quick read... Since you replaced headgasket, doublecheck camshaft to crankshaft timing and aligment marks on camshaftS. Sitting on bike, the left ignition coil fires 1 and 4, no mixing!
      Thanks, I've doublechecked the timing mark (yes, set in line with the mark on signal plate, not the "T") and I know what ht-lead was attached to what spark plug. I only tried to switch btw 1 & 4 to proove to myself I wasn't totally out of bounds...
      Attached Files

Comment

I take it your signal plate/coils looks like this writeup?

And you counted pins between intake and exhaust cam marks? With #1 mark on exhaust camcshaft pointing horizontal forward?

image.jpg
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Correct, and I counted to 20 pins from arrow #2 to #3, starting with pin directly above arrow #2.

Comment

Geez, you got spark, fuel,compression ,and timing.... Make sure the ignition coil connections from ignitor didn't get switched around (i.e. right coil firing when left is supposed to,etc.)
            1981 gs650L

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              Geez, you got spark, fuel,compression ,and timing.... Make sure the ignition coil connections from ignitor didn't get switched around (i.e. right coil firing when left is supposed to,etc.)
              +1. This would be my guess as to what the problem is.
              https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
              1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
              1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Wet plugs, wet piston, yet you have spark. The spark is not happening at the right time or is too weak.

V
                Gustov
                80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                81 GS 1000 G
                79 GS 850 G
                81 GS 850 L
                83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                80 GS 550 L
                86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                2002 Honda 919
                2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Yes, maybe the spark only appears outside the cylinder for some reason... I'm quite sure ther has been no mixup btw left/right coils/spark plugs since the 1 & 4 plug caps are "curvef" and 2 & 3 are straight. Also took some photos of the low volt connectors.

Thanks a lot for helping me understand this issue!

Comment

Originally posted by Tomgus View Post
                    I'm quite sure ther has been no mixup btw left/right coils/spark plugs since the 1 & 4 plug caps are "curvef" and 2 & 3 are straight.
                    I'm sure you haven't mixed up the wires from the coils to the plugs. What could be mixed up are the wires going to​ the coils. It's very easy to mix those up. I have done it myself.
                    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
                    1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Hm, might be so, took photos before I removed them, but will doublecheck. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
                        I'm sure you haven't mixed up the wires from the coils to the plugs. What could be mixed up are the wires going to​ the coils. It's very easy to mix those up. I have done it myself.
                        hmm, aren't they color coded? But I might look into this. I'm having a start issue as well on my 85 GS1150. I have fuel, spark, air, compression, did valves adjustment just to be safe (only #3 exh. were a bit tight) and still no start. Just cranks....

Comment

Originally posted by 1150newb View Post
                          . I'm having a start issue as well on my 85 GS1150. I have fuel, spark, air, compression, did valves adjustment just to be safe (only #3 exh. were a bit tight) and still no start. Just cranks....
                          Probably carb related.... Enricher system (aka, "choke") needs to work or cold starts are lousy. The system's fuel pickup in bowl is easily clogged.
                          1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                          X