Updating my Suzuki GS550ES to a 650CC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updating my Suzuki GS550ES to a 650CC

I believe I saw on this forum a few years back that you could swap heads cylinders pistons and rings etc from a GS650 16 valve over to my GS550ES or something like that. Anyone have some dope on this?? Trying to find pistons and rings for the ES is nearly impossible and if you do it is generally only 1 set of rings and I have not found any pistons. If anyone out there has a set of four standard 550ES rings I could use them. I am changing my base gasket, base 0 rings and head gasket. While I have it apart I thought I would re-ring it and see if I can get some compression back. I think the last time I checked the compression it was about 140 across.

Thanks much

Magnafique

If you have a 550ES, I am going to have to ask if you have an 8-valve or 16-valve engine. If you have an 8-valve, you can get the upper parts from a 650, but if you have a 16-valve 550, you are stuck, as there were no 16-valve 650s, nor will the 8-valve engine parts fit on your 16-valve engine.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Its not doable on your generation
      be happy with the 64 BHP you have and quit looking for a measly gain of 9 hp
      ok its a huge percentage increase but where does t live what rpm range?
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Hey ciyper, I am not looking for horsepower, I was just hoping that if there was an upswap, parts might be easier to find. I am very happy with the power of my ES just hard as hell to find reciprocating parts for it. Magnafique

Comment

Thanks, yea I'm screwed, its a 16 valve. Thanks for sharing,

Magnafique

Comment

not scrrwed at all
            your engine is better than its predecessor
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Working...
            X