Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Undercut gears only done on dogs and not slots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Undercut gears only done on dogs and not slots?

My 1982 GS1100E is hard to get into 2nd gear sometimes. I have missed that gear several times at the drag strip. It has even popped out of 2nd at about 9,000 rpm after being fully engaged. Well, I just split the cases today as I have since melted 2 pistons and I am going to go through this one top to bottom. I inspected the shift forks and they are not bent and the pads are still within Suzuki specs. The shift drum looks good to me. I then inspected the gears and found the dogs on all gears have been undercut (some dogs are cut on both sides, some only on one side). But, none of the slots in any of the gears are undercut. They are just flat. I am no tranny expert but aren't both the dogs and slots supposed to be cut at the same angle so they will pull together? Also, my 2nd gear has some wear on the edges of the slots from missed shifts but they are just small nicks.

Questions: Do I need to send my gears off to have them undercut on the slots?
    Who do yall recommend to do the work? APE says they do tranny work anybody used them?
    What else should I inspect while I am in here? Thanks a bunch!

Originally posted by Paul.S View Post
    My 1982 GS1100E is hard to get into 2nd gear sometimes. I have missed that gear several times at the drag strip. It has even popped out of 2nd at about 9,000 rpm after being fully engaged. Well, I just split the cases today as I have since melted 2 pistons and I am going to go through this one top to bottom. I inspected the shift forks and they are not bent and the pads are still within Suzuki specs. The shift drum looks good to me. I then inspected the gears and found the dogs on all gears have been undercut (some dogs are cut on both sides, some only on one side). But, none of the slots in any of the gears are undercut. They are just flat. I am no tranny expert but aren't both the dogs and slots supposed to be cut at the same angle so they will pull together? Also, my 2nd gear has some wear on the edges of the slots from missed shifts but they are just small nicks.

Questions: Do I need to send my gears off to have them undercut on the slots?
    Who do yall recommend to do the work? APE says they do tranny work anybody used them?
    What else should I inspect while I am in here? Thanks a bunch!
    Both drive and driven gears should be cut. You are correct in that they should pull together and if only one is cut then that's not happening. There is a guy here in Maitland Florida that cuts gears. He advertises on Clist. https://orlando.craigslist.org/mpo/d...198098804.html
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I've used M.R.E. with good results.

I'm also a believer in replacing the forks and drum even if they look ok.
      '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

M.R.E. does good work. Ask for Jay, tell him Team Dar sent you. He will fix you up. Dar

Comment

Thanks I will get them sent out soon.

Comment

Pearson Racing in Ohio, did mine among other things, like unweld my Falicon Super Crank, put a new left end on, reweld, add a used #1 connecting rod on it.
            GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Working...
            X