16 valve adjustment 82 suzuki gs750t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

16 valve adjustment 82 suzuki gs750t

Hello I'm planning on tacklieing the valve adjustment in the near future. Where is the best place to order the cover gasket from. And as far as the actual adjustment tool it's just a square head nut? Thanks in advanced. How long should I expect this job to take for a first timer?

Z-1 enterprises probably has the gasket. OEM gaskets are important for some areas but for the valve cover gasket, aftermarket is fine. I think there is some size deck screw that has a head that fits the square adjuster perfectly. I'll see if I can search it up. Or you can buy the suzuki tool.
    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
    1983 GS 1100 G
    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Something like this
      1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
      1983 GS 1100 G
      2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
      2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
      1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Be sure to do both valves at the same time or you will be chasing your tail a lot. Doing the singly allows the play in the rocker to affect the valve adjustment from one side to the other. Using a feeler under each adjuster at the same time eliminates a lot of that. Follow the book for torquing the nuts.

V
        Gustov
        80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
        81 GS 1000 G
        79 GS 850 G
        81 GS 850 L
        83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
        80 GS 550 L
        86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
        2002 Honda 919
        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
          Be sure to do both valves at the same time or you will be chasing your tail a lot. Doing the singly allows the play in the rocker to affect the valve adjustment from one side to the other. Using a feeler under each adjuster at the same time eliminates a lot of that. Follow the book for torquing the nuts.

V
          Nowhere in the factory service manual does it recommend adjusting both valves that share a rocker arm simultaneously. If there is enough play between the rocker arm and rocker shaft to make a difference then your valve train is worn out. I have adjusted hundreds of valves on GS 16 valve stock and race motors and have had no negative issues whatsoever doing them one at a time. Dar

Comment

GS750T Valve Adjustment

Originally posted by Kman123 View Post
            Hello I'm planning on tacklieing the valve adjustment in the near future. Where is the best place to order the cover gasket from. And as far as the actual adjustment tool it's just a square head nut? Thanks in advanced. How long should I expect this job to take for a first timer?
            Hey Kman,

Here's my thread for the valve adjustment on the same bike. I used PartsOutlaw for my OEM gasket.

Do you have a great road adventure that you would like to share? How about a bike repair gone bad? Put your story here and share it with the rest of us.

You'll need a valve tappet set too.

Ed
            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Originally posted by Kman123 View Post
              Motion Pro has the specialty tools you'll need, angled feeler gauges and the tool for the adjusting screws, I bought them and made the job way easier. And yeah do both adjustments on the rockers at the same time. No reason not too. And for a newbie, count about 2+ hrs for the first time. I can do it in about 45 minutes now after I get everything off. Oh one other thing, you might want to order a couple of spare lock nuts and adjustment screws, these can go bad in time. they'll tighten up on the threads to the point you can't adjust anything. I keep 4 of each as spares. Had to replace some over the years.
              Last edited by mrbill5491; 07-24-2017, 01:54 PM.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Good advice on the spares MrBill.

V
                Gustov
                80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                81 GS 1000 G
                79 GS 850 G
                81 GS 850 L
                83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                80 GS 550 L
                86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                2002 Honda 919