36 mm o ring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

36 mm o ring?

Just got the carbs out of my 80 GS550L, and I figured I'd change the intake o-rings while I was at it. The new rings are 38 mm from cycleorings, along with 16 mm hex head screws, and a new o ring kit. The old rings appear to be in reasonably good condition, other than they are the wrong material, and they are starting to flatten. The new o rings are about 2 mm to big. Robert doesn't have a 36 mm listed. Do I try to compress the new ones to fit, use the old ones, or did a PO change something out? I hate the idea of leaving her apart while I wait for different rings. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

1502155666384-333849485.jpg

Sorry for the small pic, I can't figure out how to post a large one from the phone.

You need the 38mm O-rings from Robert
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

That's what I have shown in the pic, it just doesn't seem right. Even measured everything to make sure I didn't accidentally order the wrong rings.

Comment

Measure the inside diameter of the oring groove. Thats what size you need. Measure all of them to see if they are all the same or a mixed bag.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Trilug View Post
          That's what I have shown in the pic, it just doesn't seem right. Even measured everything to make sure I didn't accidentally order the wrong rings.
          What exactly did you measure? Did you measure the I.D. of the O-rings I sent?

It's possible -- unlikely, but possible -- that I mistakenly sent you 40mm's, which would explain what we're seeing in that photograph. Let me know what measurements you've made. We'll fix this.
          and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
          __________________________________________________ ______________________
          2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

1502160893238-529457010.jpg

Micrometer is set at 38 mm. As far as I can tell, you sent the right rings.

Comment

15021612647391261012994.jpg

Here's one from the intake. Had to hold it in place.

Comment

I found the culprit. The intake is aftermarket. One of the originals was in with some of the stuff for the bike. It took a bit to get the old petrified o-ring out of it. They ruined at least one intake, but that is the only one the was with everything. May explain why it was such a bear getting the carbs out.

1502161809665-1787589019.jpg

Comment

Just to try to show what I'm dealing with for the o-rings that are currently on the intake
                  1502162396298140325261.jpg

Comment

Original ring, installed and fully seated.
                    1502162587878197528946.jpg

Comment

Robert, I never had a doubt that you sent the correct rings. Awesome service, and I love the new black screws. I have no doubt that I'll be ordering from you again. Next time I'm measuring stuff before hand though.

Comment

Measure the groove inside and outside diameter, and do a look up on a Parker O-ring webpage - or a McMaster-Carr webpage, make sure the cross-section width is proper, this o-ring seal works as a face seal and the width has to be slightly bigger than the groove depth. The 36mm ring may fit, but without measuring the groove, its only a guess. The Viton rings are better than Buna-N rings that would crisp a lot faster.

Comment

Working...
                        X