A mystery! '81 gs550mx oil loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A mystery! '81 gs550mx oil loss

Plugs are appropriate colour, no visible smoke, no oil leaks on engine. So where's the oil going? Engine has good compression and plenty of power yet using arround 150mils per 100k under pressure. Anyone got any ideas?

So 5 ounces in 64 miles? Yikes! I'd guess the valve stem seals, but smoke should be visible at that rate. Out of curiosity, what kind of oil do you use?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Valvoline 20/50.

Comment

That's a LOT of oil loss. I'm surprised there isn't massive smoke.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

There is no smoke on cold start up. I have had several people follow me on rides to check for smoke and all reported no smoke.

Comment

...and even more surprised that there is no evidence of a leak if there is no smoke.
            '83 GS650G
            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

why so heavy an oil on the top number you live in an arid hellish desert?
              1983 GS 550 LD
              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

20/50 is what the manual says to use!
                I live in the best motorcycling country in the world - great roads, great scenery! Come and have a look.

Comment

Originally posted by Katmantoo View Post
                  20/50 is what the manual says to use!
                  I live in the best motorcycling country in the world - great roads, great scenery! Come and have a look.
                  Be easier (and cheaper) if you send a pic our way.image.jpg
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Siri says it cool weather there for highs all week
                    Siri knows all
                    so again why such a heavy oil? Try a 10-40 as suggested int he fine service manual on BC's website
                    1983 GS 550 LD
                    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Will try 10/40 before attempting exploretory surgery. Could you give me BC's website please, might give more than my Haynes!

Comment

I believe Great Motorcycle Rides did 2 episodes on riding NZ. If you can't find it let me know and I'll organise something for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Katmantoo View Post
                          Will try 10/40 before attempting exploretory surgery. Could you give me BC's website please, might give more than my Haynes!
                          Basscliff's website is http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff
                          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Have to ask. How is the consumption being measured ?
                            When my bike was losing at that rate the oil was coming out the front of the headgasket like a waterfall and my boots were so wet they slipped on the ground at stop signs.
                            And it smoked at startup.
                            97 R1100R
                            Previous
                            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I topped the oil level to the top mark on the sight glass, took the bike for a 200km run then measured the amount of oil required to top up to the mark again. Went for a run today and the guy following me said he saw no smoke but could smell hot oil coming from the bike. Could this be caused by a too heavy a grade of oil as suggested by Cipher?

Comment

Working...
                              X