Clutch plates springs or both?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch plates springs or both?

I am now being a bit finicky I think but I get some rattling noise when my engine is good and hot, wife on the back and taking off from a light. Yea a lot has to come together for it to do it but I am pretty sure its clutch. If I feather the clutch a bit more and give a touch more gas I can make it take off without any noise. If its really hot and I am at about 3400 rpm and give it a bit of a goose I get some rattle. Keep in mind I ride in ambient temps over 100F

I thought with my next oil change I might try swapping out the clutch springs. Bike has about 27,000 miles on it. Its an easy swap and the springs are fairly inexpensive. but .. I have no idea if that is a fix or would I just be using up 2 hours of a day and a new gasket. Is it possible the clutch plates are bad in 27,000 miles? My experience say no but ??

Why don't you take some time out of an otherwise dull day to pull the clutch, and make some measurements? It's probably not what you are thinking.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Your clutch springs hold pressure on the plates and discs. If they are not doing their job, your clutch would be slipping. It may be the damper springs in the back of the basket, but you wont be changing those out in a two hour job. This isn't your clutch, but they are all basically the same. You might want to watch it.
      GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

that guy has nice vids
        K1200s are fraught with probs thank god they were mostly gone by the time 1300s came down the pipe
        Hes a brit guy I think redoes clutches for folks works wonders etc.
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
          Why don't you take some time out of an otherwise dull day to pull the clutch, and make some measurements? It's probably not what you are thinking.
          I will at the next oil change. Do you have any other suggestions on what it might be? I checked valve clearances when I was getting the bike road worthy and they were fine.

I know I have something that is vibrating because when I start the bike w choke and its idling, warming up, at say 3000 its making a racket but it sounds outside the engine and not inside and I havent chased it down yet. I think its the starter motor cover. I dont hear it when I ride only when its sitting in the driveway.

Like I said .. I get the rattle only when the bike is very hot and under load.

Comment

np chance this is a variation on pre-detonation?
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
              np chance this is a variation on pre-detonation?
              Cipher .. I think you nailed it. I went riding some more and doing more research .. High heat, Low humidity and higher elevation and under load ... Pre detonation. AZ is using its summer blend now too so loaded with ethanol. I am using premium fuel but from a discount supermarket gas station. Going to try a tank from chevron on my next fill up. Other than that .. I dont know.. 6 more weeks and it will be cooler out and probably stop happening on its own accord. Maybe?

Well you saved me the expense and trouble of clutch springs!! Thank you!
              Alex

Comment

Working...
              X