Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch basket center nut stuck

Hi All,

I am doing a full engine rebuild on my Suzuki GS850 from 1979. I have gotten to the clutch basket, and need to remove that, but I cant get the center nut off (marked with the red arrow).

I have knocked the part of the washer holding the nut in place back (the green arrow), but the nut still wont budge.

Is there anything else I need to do before I can remove the center nut or is brute force the way forward?

Clutch basket.jpg

Thank you,

Best regards,

Michael

Mine was finger tight....... have you tried a breaker bar? Leverage is your friend.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Air impact spins them right off.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I used an impact wrench it it came right off. If you don't have access to an air compressor Harbor Freight sells an electric impact pretty cheap that works good for that and you'll uset for a bazzillion other things later too.
        1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

OK. So no magic. Just raw power

Ill get cracking. Hopefully the local equivalent of Harbor Freight sells electric impact guns. Thanks for your help.

BR Michael

Comment

Yep, impact.

That is a VERY nice clutch basket holding tool, by the way.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks for all your help, guys.

The clutch basket holding tool is from EBC-brakes. I bought new clutchplates and springs as well as the clutch holding tool directly from their website.

The tool was €32 (or $37 with todays exchange rates.)

Best regards,

Michael

Comment

Hi I have not checked their website but I suspect that the springs will be heavy duty if that's the case you will need to be a man mountain to continually use the clutch as the pull is very heavy. Some use half of the suzuki and half EBC.
                But it's been said many times on here there is no need for heavy duty just buy the suzuki ones they are not that expensive.
                The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
                1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                past bikes. RF900
                TL1000s
                Hayabusa
                gsx 750f x2
                197cc Francis Barnett
                various British nails

Comment

I still have 5 of the 6 old springs, so I can swap them in, if the next springs will too much exercise.

Thanks for the warning.

-M

Comment

As others have said, an impact gun works well. I have a HF cordless impact that I use. I paid $75 for it. It's great for rotating tires on a four-wheeled vehicle, too!

Comment

Do you use an impact driver to tighten the nut?
                      Current Bikes.... 81,1230Kat, 86,GSXR1100, 86,RG500, :D
                      The 80`s - Back in the days when men looked like women, women dressed like whores and the music F@#KING ROCKED! http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/friday.gif

Comment

Same follow up question I had. Folks said yes and I used it to tighten. So far, so good.
                        Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                        2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                        1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Working...
                        X