Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'82 GS 650 Clutch doesnt snap back. Pls help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 GS 650 Clutch doesnt snap back. Pls help.

Just got this bike and i thought all it needed was a clutch cable. When i went to change the cable today i noticed the part where you screw the cable on to the engine, (the little arm the comes out pf the top of the drivetrain to put the cable) doesnt snap back like it should when you engage the clutch. Any ideas on what this might be? Thanks

The clutch lever arm swung out of position when you changed cable. See pic ...get clutch arm position right,then cable.
    This is start position of clutch lever arm.. manually pushing on arm, you should have about 1/4 inch travel before you feel resistance - the cable itself then needs to be adjusted to this spot.

image.jpg
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks tom do i need to take the cover off to get the arm position right?

Comment

You can remove the bolt and then remove just the arm off the shaft splines. Turn the shaft counterclockwise in the direction of the pull and stick it back on where it is close as possible to having tension. There are also two adjustment areas for your cable, one where it mounts on the engine case and up at the lever. So shorten the one at the lever as much as possible so you'll have adjustment up there as the cable stretches and do you initial adjustment down on the engine.
        Last edited by gsrick; 08-21-2017, 06:33 PM.
        :cool:GSRick
        No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
        Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I tried that but the clutch still wont engage. For example i can put it 1st and it wont roll no matter if the arm is turned to the left or the right . Is something is wrong inside under the cover? Thanks man

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman96 View Post
            I tried that but the clutch still wont engage. For example i can put it 1st and it wont roll no matter if the arm is turned to the left or the right . Is something is wrong inside under the cover? Thanks man
            The clutch actuation isn't a complex thing - just a lever turning a geared spline. Time to take off the cover and investigate.
            Current:
            Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
            VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
            And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

The shaft(25) has slines on both ends. The bottom fits to the rack(21) that pulls the pressure plate(14), so unless you removed the clutch cover it should still be in contact. Question is did it snap back before you changed the cable? If it didn't then yes you may need to remove the cover to see whats wrong in there.
              :cool:GSRick
              No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
              Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Ok i took it off and the cover ans the middle thing just spins around freely. Not sure seems pretty bad

Comment

No it didnt snap back the bike hasnt been driven in about 6 months

Comment

When you say the middle thing, are you talking part #25?

Look at part #21...it is possible to have that in facing the wrong way around, and the teeth won't catch with #25.
                    '83 GS650G
                    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Nope part 21 sorry the horizontal shaft with teeth that grabs onto the other shaft it just seems like its too loose

Comment

Aah,

With the cover off that part will spin freely, until it engages with #25 with the cover back on.
                        '83 GS650G

Comment

Shpuod i take off #14 as well? When you pull on #21 it doesnt have any snap to it just sort of seems weird. You have to push it back in it seems really weak. Thanks for the help really appreciate this site is awesome because im a begginer at working on bikes

Comment

Nope, that's just the way it is...
                            '83 GS650G

Comment

Alright got her figured out thanks buddy

Comment

Working...
                              X