Oil Leak, what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Leak, what to do?

I just got my GS850g running good. Valves Adjusted, Carbs synced, and Fresh Tires. Now she is leaking oil pretty bad from the left side. Bad enough that if I run her up on the Highway for longer then 30 minutes my boots and my left shin is covered in motor oil. It seems like it's coming from the cylinder head gasket. I was told if you wash the motor really well then cover it in baby powder you can find the leak. Does this work? Do I have to tear my whole engine down? How hard is this?

I bought her with 10k and put about 1.5k on her. I'd guess the gaskets are dried out from so much sitting.
    1981 GS 850G

sigpic

Yes looks like it might be a top end tear down, it's actually not that difficult.

You may want to identify where the oil leak is as it could be the stator cover or cam chain tensioner and the oil is migrating in the wind, if it's one of those then just a gasket replacement or o-ring and gasket for the CCT

Pictures would help.
    Last edited by Kiwi Canuck; 09-15-2017, 10:49 AM.
    2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
    2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
    1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
    2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
    1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
    1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
    1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
    Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

don't panic, 8/10 times it is coming from the valve cover gasket. clean it up well and see.
      1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Takes a pretty heavy leak to cover your boot and shin in oil in 30 minutes. I've had leaking valve covers before. The only time I had a leak that bad, it was the head gasket. If you think you can do it, you probably can. Plenty of knowledge here if you need help.

Comment

Take a look at the tach drive as well.
          Alan

sigpic
          Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
          Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
          Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
          Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

So yesterday I took her for a short ride to the store and noticed that it seems like oil was leaking out of the left exhaust bolts. I degreased it let it dry and today applied baby powder. I started it and let it warm up took some pictures then took it for a short ride around the block and took more pictures. Seems like it's seeping out of the Head Gasket in the center and also out of the bolts on the two left exhausts and in a spot between the two. It was hard getting my phone into the main leak zone which seems to be behind the frame between the two left exhausts. I posted pictures here https://imgur.com/a/TYwEz if your curious. What should I do next? The camchain also rattles at idle.
            1981 GS 850G

sigpic

Comment

I would think it is time to do a top end rebuild but don't take my word for it. I'm sure someone more mechanical than I will provide you with the proper answer.
              Larry

'79 GS 1000E
              '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
              '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
              '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
              '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Ok. If anyone has any links to top end rebuilds post them up. I might try to do that myself, probably with the help of someone more skilled then me.
                1981 GS 850G

sigpic

Comment

The pics are not extremely helpful, but it looks like you have a valve cover leak. No big deal.

It appears to me that the oil is leaking out the valve cover somewhere in the middle where it's hard to see, then dribbles down and forward, then gets blown absolutely everywhere by the wind.

I suspect you'll find damage to the gasket; possibly overtorqued or part of it slid out of place.

Get on fleaBay and score a new OEM gasket and get after it.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                    The pics are not extremely helpful.
                    Sorry, It was really hard to get into that spot with my android phone.
                    1981 GS 850G

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X