Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internal Engine Cleaning

Hi all,
    I recently picked up a used replacement engine for my GS750T, which looks to be in good shape but the valve cover was off when I picked it up. So naturally sitting there for a while, the top end accumulated a bunch of grit from the air. I do plan to take the top end apart and get everything clean... But just a few quick questions:
    - What kind of solvent is best for cleaning the inside of an engine? I've heard varsol is good, or diesel?
    - Is it also a good idea to try and clean out the bottom end? Is it necessary to take everything out like the crank and pistons?
    - Is there any method of clearing out the oil passages to the top end?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

What is giving rise to this? I have rsorted to rinsing out the top end of n engine with kerosene while the sump pan was off.
    Also clened the sump pan and pup screen
    No ill effects.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Varsol works great too. I've used it many times on rebuilds.
      80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

The only thing to know about varsol is that it will damage seals and o-rings. Kerosene isn't quite as effective of a solvent but it does not damage seals or o-rings if that matters to OP in this case.

Mark
        1982 GS1100E
        1998 ZX-6R
        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Okay awesome, are there any o-rings on the bottom end I should be concerned about or are they mostly on the top end? I appreciate all the responses so far, thanks!!

Comment

The shifter and output shaft come to mind...
            -1980 GS1100 LT
            -1975 Honda cb750K
            -1972 Honda cl175
            - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Oil pump has some as well.
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

There are several seals in the bottom end, plus an o-ring between the upper and lower case halves.

So yeah, you do want to use a solvent that won't dissolve seals and o-rings.

If you have the engine on a bench or whatever, I'd upend it and try to wash out as much of the garbage as I can from the top. In other words, try not to wash the crud down through the engine.

You might also look at procedures for dealing with a drowned engine. My KLR650 ended up in a much-deeper-than-expected creek once and spent a good 45 minutes completely underwater, and the engine was full of dirty creek water. I trailered it home, drained about 2.5 gallons of water and oil, then poured in some cheap Walmart oil and some Sea Foam to help emulsify the water. I ran it for a few minutes, then drained and repeated. After the second change, no more water was visible in the oil. I ended up changing the oil with cheap 10W-40 I think four or five times total. That engine has since done over 20,000 miles without the slightest problem.

In your case, I'd plan on a very brief first startup or two with cheapo oil, drain that and see what you get.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

This is a lot of great information. I also like the idea of cycling cheap oil through the engine to clean it out. It's time to roll up my sleeves and tackle this turd. Thank you everyone for your input!

Comment

Working...
                  X