Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transmission losing acceleration on fast throttle after 3rd gear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission losing acceleration on fast throttle after 3rd gear.

Hi everyone. Ive noticed that my bike just revs and doesn't quite catch the gears on a fast acceleration from 3rd gear and up.

If I slowly accelerate through the gears its fine.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? Worn out gear springs?

Slipping clutch? Replace clutch springs.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      Slipping clutch? Replace clutch springs.
      Big job? Anything I should look out for/be careful of? I do all my own work, not a mechanic but I get by. Lol

How many springs will I need 4? Ill need to look at my manual for part #s.

Comment

Be sure your clutch cable has some freeplay before you replace the clutch. If its too tight they'll slip.

However, if your luck is like mine, its not gonna be something that simple. lol
        1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Originally posted by TxGSrider View Post
          Be sure your clutch cable has some freeplay before you replace the clutch. If its too tight they'll slip.

Hahaha. I havent had much luck but Ill check that. Thanks. I have played with it quite alot after replacing my levers. So more slack so it releases it properly...obviously ?

Comment

Originally posted by TxGSrider View Post

Yea, you need a little free play; there is a spec in the manual.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              Yea, you need a little free play; there is a spec in the manual.
              Awesome. Thanks. I hope its only that.

Comment

Most likely springs needed.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Springs AND proper cable adjustment.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Check the steels for bluing or warpage and the service limits of the fibers when your in there
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

probs springs, easy job, not expensive.
                      1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
                        probs springs, easy job, not expensive.
                        If the springs don't get it, then you'll know how to get in there to do fiber plates. Also, I have noticed that my 1000G will slip at WOT if the oil isn't hot. But let's not start an oil thread just yet. Springs or cable adjustment are most likely.
                        Dogma
                        --
                        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
                        X