Turning the engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turning the engine

Hello All! I got a basket case project and don't know if it runs. So I took the cover off on the shifter side of the engine and turned the engine counter cockwise. I guess I should have checked here first but is that the correct direction? If it's not what kind of damage did I do? Thanks for the Help!

Crank runs forward. What makes you think you did damage?
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Engines aways run up and away from the cam chain tensioner. I doubt you did any damage, but you might want to check the timing marks to make sure it didn't jump a tooth before you try to fire it up just in case. I think that is the main concern if you turn an engine backwards is the slack in the chain can cause it to jump a tooth on the exhaust cam, IRC.
      Last edited by gsrick; 01-04-2018, 10:16 PM.
      :cool:GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Well I never did anything like this before and was worried. I don't know when the last time this bike ran. Last inspection sticker is for 86 and it's only a 82!

Comment

Originally posted by Calandnr View Post
          Well I never did anything like this before and was worried. I don't know when the last time this bike ran. Last inspection sticker is for 86 and it's only a 82!
          How much did you turn it?

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

I just reread your original post and realized which side you turned it from. I thought you were turning it from the ignition side. If you were turning it counterclockwise from the stator side of the crank, you were turning it in the correct direction. There should be nothing to worry about.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
              How much did you turn it?
              1 or 2 turns.

Comment

1 or 2 turns.
                No worries. Like I said, I thought you were turning it from the ignition end of the crank. The small cover on the right side is where the ignition is located and most manuals tell you to turn the engine from the bolt under the cover.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                  most manuals tell you to turn the engine from the bolt under the cover.
                  Well there wrong. You use the 17mm(maybe19) nut to turn that engine. Turning the 12 mm bolt will more than likely break it.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
                    Well there wrong. You use the 17mm(maybe19) nut to turn that engine. Turning the 12 mm bolt will more than likely break it.
                    I didn't say to use the 12 mm bolt, but thank you for clarifying that. Not all engines have that little bolt.
                    Last edited by gsrick; 01-04-2018, 11:35 PM.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Mostly instructions about turning are in the context of the ignition side where you will find two.
                      Even with tensioner out, by hand would probably be too slow to do anything.
                      If you're worried, check the timing marks, then with the plugs out turn slowly clockwise from the big screw on the ignition side and see that everything is free.
                      97 R1100R
                      Previous
                      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Hello All! I got a basket case project and don't know if it runs. So I took the cover off on the shifter side of the engine and turned the engine counter cockwise. I guess I should have checked here first but is that the correct direction? If it's not what kind of damage did I do? Thanks for the Help!
                        Getting back to the original question, you probably did no damage. However, you DID turn the wrong direction and you were under the wrong engine cover to do that.

As others have mentioned, you should have been on the RIGHT side of the engine, under the ignition cover and used the 19mm nut to turn the engine clockwise.

You are correct in questioning, though, as not all engines turn the same direction.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          Getting back to the original question, you probably did no damage. However, you DID turn the wrong direction and you were under the wrong engine cover to do that.

As others have mentioned, you should have been on the RIGHT side of the engine, under the ignition cover and used the 19mm nut to turn the engine clockwise.

You are correct in questioning, though, as not all engines turn the same direction.

Well he did go in the right direction for that side, but like we've said, it was the wrong side to turn the engine from.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Correct Rick..and the reason is that by using the rotor bolt to turn the engine over you risk loosening it or even breaking bit all together.
                            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                              Correct Rick..and the reason is that by using the rotor bolt to turn the engine over you risk loosening it or even breaking bit all together.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Working...
                              X