No announcement yet.

Turning the engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the sake of conversation.... What 'would' be wrong with turning the engine in the incorrect direction? Timing chain tension? Possible cam chain wadding up in the bottom of the engine causing damage if the engine is forced?

Wouldn't it be pretty easy to turn the engine in either direction if the plugs are pulled?

Comment

Maybe undo stress on the cam chain would be my biggest concern.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Well at least you don't want to do that when checking the timing. The cams may not be in the correct position with the crank if it's rotated backwards.
        :cool:GSRick
        No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
        Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by jdion81 View Post
          For the sake of conversation.... What 'would' be wrong with turning the engine in the incorrect direction? Timing chain tension? Possible cam chain wadding up in the bottom of the engine causing damage if the engine is forced?
          Technically, it shouldn't make any difference. If your timing chain wads up in the bottom, you have bigger problems to worry about, as the tensioner is not doing its job.

Because of clearances and tensions in various parts, you only turn it in the "forward" direction, and by using the 19mm nut on the right side of the crank when you are doing things like checking cam or ignition timing. If nothing else, it makes sure that everyone is doing it the same way, which might make the results a bit more predictable.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Understood. I was just wondering because I am working on mine with the cams and tensioner out and feeding the chain by hand. The engine has been moving forward and anti-forward for some time by hand. It is pretty easy to move by hand with the plugs out by grabbing the stator rotor and turning.

Comment

Without the tensioner and cams, you can spin it either way (assuming you're not letting the cam chain bunch up).
              Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
              2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
              1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Thanks for all the help! Just want to make sure I got this straight. Even though I turned the engine from the wrong side (clutch/left) it should be fine since it was turned in the right direction. Just need to check timing marks?

Comment

Working...
                X