Clunk like a u-joint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clunk like a u-joint

On my last couple rides I noticed a clunk reminiscent of a worn u-joint but of course I have a chain on the GS1100ES and it is adjusted well. My son is practicing riding on it right now in a parking lot and I can hear it clearly. I have never done clutch work but I’m wondering if it has to do with the clutch basket springs. It just started without any real buildup so I initially thought something was loose but maybe I didn’t notice it until now.
    sigpic
    1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
    1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
    1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
    On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
    All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

If there's a problem with clutch springs, the clutch is either slipping, or the springs are "heavy duty", requiring too much pull on the lever. A loose clutch basket can make a noise, but I've never heard it and can't help diagnose it. Have you double-checked the stuff you "know" is right?
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

If it's not clutch related, how about the cushion in the rear hub?
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
        If there's a problem with clutch springs, the clutch is either slipping, or the springs are "heavy duty", requiring too much pull on the lever. A loose clutch basket can make a noise, but I've never heard it and can't help diagnose it. Have you double-checked the stuff you "know" is right?
        I meant the ones on the back of the basket but I really don't think it's clutch related anyway. It does sound like it could be coming from the hub but the cushions are intact so I think at worst they might allow slop but I don't think a clunk. It is definitely from coming on and off the throttle but it not easily repeated--almost like it happens more when you are not trying. Grr.
        sigpic

Comment

Could your chain have a stretched spot in it? The chain that was on my old 450 when I bought it did, and I could feel it occasionally when I'd lay on the throttle. The bike would hesitate a little as it took up the slack then surge forward. I couldn't really hear a clunk but I could feel it. A new chain got rid of it.

Comment

The clutch hub nut may have come loose. That's a common problem. APE sells a HD nut or you can get an 1150 nut which is larger and more robust than the 1100E nut.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Hinermad View Post
              Could your chain have a stretched spot in it? The chain that was on my old 450 when I bought it did, and I could feel it occasionally when I'd lay on the throttle. The bike would hesitate a little as it took up the slack then surge forward. I couldn't really hear a clunk but I could feel it. A new chain got rid of it.
              Chain is pretty new. Hub nut is tight. When I hit the rear tire from the side I hear a metal on metal bang. Not sure if it’s related. Still going over everything I can see.
              sigpic

Comment

So it turned out that the sprocket nuts—all of them—were loose. That is in spite of the lock plates which were loosened somehow. I’ve tightened it all up and the clunk is gone but I’m concerned that the sprocket, which is nearly new, should be replaced because the bolt holes may be oblong now. Definitely want new lock plates. What do you think?
                Last edited by glib; 04-14-2018, 08:01 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

This just doesn't make sense to me. I would think the lock plate would prevent the bolts from loosening. This same phenomenon seems to happen to the clutch hub nut also.
                  Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                  '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                  '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                  '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                  '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                    This just doesn't make sense to me. I would think the lock plate would prevent the bolts from loosening.
                    I saw that happen once when the lock plate was installed incorrectly. Seems the owner had folded the tab against the wrong side of the flats on the bolt head, which allowed the bolts to back out a bit. Not much, but just enough.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      I saw that happen once when the lock plate was installed incorrectly. Seems the owner had folded the tab against the wrong side of the flats on the bolt head, which allowed the bolts to back out a bit. Not much, but just enough.

I may have done this myself. What is the wrong/right side? I just thought the folded plate tab prevented movement of the nut. Obviously I was wrong but I don’t want it to happen again.
                      sigpic

Comment

If the tab is folded tightly and completely against the flat on the bolt, it should be good, but sometimes you have to fold it to one side of the point, rather than the flat. You want to fold it against the LEFT side of the flat to keep the bolt from turning to the left.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          If the tab is folded tightly and completely against the flat on the bolt, it should be good, but sometimes you have to fold it to one side of the point, rather than the flat. You want to fold it against the LEFT side of the flat to keep the bolt from turning to the left.

Makes perfect sense. I don’t know how I would have biffed them all but they were all loose so I must have. They will be part of my pre-ride check going forward.
                          sigpic

Comment

If you can't get the left side to flatten up just go around the bike and lean over the saddle.
                            97 R1100R
                            Previous
                            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Folding the tab totally flat against the flat of the nut or bolt should stop the bolt or nut from backing out. There is no left side whether it be top or bottom, right or left.
                              1981 GS 1000GLX.
                              1981 GS 1000G.
                              1981 GS 650GLX.
                              1975 TS 185.
                              1972 100. Kawasaki.
                              1968 100. Suzuki.
                              1970 Z 50. Honda.
                              1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
                              1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

Working...
                              X