1983 Gs 1100 loose clutch hub nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 Gs 1100 loose clutch hub nut

Hello GS world. I have another question regarding my 83 GS 1100 ES. What should I do with a slightly loose clutch hub nut, before I put this thing back together, can I tighten that nut?

You dont need to start another thread regarding your clutch questions. You already have a few of the most knowledgeable GS engine/clutch guys subscribed to your other clutch thread.

Anyway....It could be that the stock aluminum nut is loose or shot. There is a steel one available from APE http://gszone.biz/clutches.html

but I would review that shim thing mentioned in your other thread with those guys. "You also HAVE to pay attention to the shims & the amount of play in the basket, in & out movement."

Last edited by bonanzadave; 04-15-2018, 02:03 PM.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I was told the clutch hub nut from an 1150 would also be better and it is quite a bit cheaper than the APE brand. Very fitting, for we are a bunch of cheapskates, are we not?
      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

I proudly admit to being a cheapskate!!. The nut is just slightly loose with hardly any play in or out. I was just curious, didn't have much clutch noise to start with.

Comment

Sorry about the thread thing. The fact that I can navigate to this site is a miracle in itself. I am a true novice on these things, hell, I've only had a smart phone for 6 months, and would not have got one except for grand baby face time.

Comment

The stock 1100 nut is thinner than the 1150 nut, less threads, and the threads are soft. Buy the APE nut once and be done with it. Torque the nut to 75 ft. lbs. and be done. Bend the lock tab over and it will stay till you have to loosen it to remove it again. While you are in there I would pull the hub and replace the stock 1100 oil pump gears with 750 pump gears. This will up the oil pressure and put more oil to the cams & rocker arms. Extra oil helps the cam lobe & rocker life but it ALSO helps cool the valve springs, increasing their life as well.
            Ray.

Comment

Working...
            X