No announcement yet.

changed sprockets, now bike wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

great video. ill do that test tomorrow. i am just curious why this would happen after a sprocket change. i did try to push start the bike after the battery drained during that job. i just cant understand why the bike drove into the garage, the sprocket and chain job went well, and it never started after that.

Comment

I rode my 1100L on a 2000+ mile rally, parked it in the back yard, started it the next day and rode it into my shop. That motor never ran again. Would not start. Had 30 lbs compression across the board, a shot head. Sooooo you never really know until you have done your due diligence.

V
      Gustov
      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
      81 GS 1000 G
      79 GS 850 G
      81 GS 850 L
      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
      80 GS 550 L
      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
      2002 Honda 919
      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

i pulled the top head cover off and was able to examine to top of the pistons. everything started spinning around up and down just fine.. a little stuck in places but i cleaned the cylinder walls and it is moving great. the top of one piston had 1/4inch of thick sludge. i am thinking that could have been the problem. as i start putting it back together im trying to keep checking the cam and the timing chain. does anyone have anything else i should be checking while i put it all back together, or any great resources for cam chain timing.
        thanks

Comment

You should check that the valves of that cylinder that had sludge on top of the piston, are not bent. Bent valves will prevent full rotations of the crank. It should be easy to check while the cylinder head is still off. I would have taken the opportunity of replacing the valve guide oil seals while the head was off, and also lightly lapping the valves in. A bent valve would be seen immediately during the lapping process.

If the head has been replaced already (sounds like it from your last post), you can measure all the valve clearances and compare the readings of the other cylinders to those of the "sludged" cylinder. A large difference means those valves are bent.
          1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

i did a quick check of my valves and their springs and all but one seemed fine. the one that didnt took a little force to depress, but then went just as smooth as the others. i can check anything else you recommend though. i think my cam might have also been out of time. does anyone have a diagram or information on how i can time my cam chain correctly?
            thanks

Comment

You can download a factory Suzuki service manual for your bike from BassCliff's site. The manual shows the cam timing diagram and information you require.

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
              1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

i put the cams back on and attached the chain. i put a wrench on the left crankshaft and i can rotate it counter-clockwise over and over(with the starter off,) but as soon as i go to move it clockwise it jams up after 1/8 of a turn. doesnt matter where the pistons are. with a wrench on the right side crank big bolt i can rotate it clockwise but wont go counter-clockwise.
                Last edited by Guest; 04-25-2018, 10:47 AM.

Comment

i timed the cams again and when i hit the starter with plugs and carbs out, everything moved around well. i will reassemble and hook everything up to be sure.

Comment

i just put the spark plugs back in and now the engine wont turn more than half a turn. almost a piston gets near the top and gets stuck. any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by prem View Post
                      i put the cams back on and attached the chain. i put a wrench on the left crankshaft and i can rotate it counter-clockwise over and over(with the starter off,) but as soon as i go to move it clockwise it jams up after 1/8 of a turn. doesnt matter where the pistons are. with a wrench on the right side crank big bolt i can rotate it clockwise but wont go counter-clockwise.
                      i timed the cams again and when i hit the starter with plugs and carbs out, everything moved around well. i will reassemble and hook everything up to be sure.
                      i just put the spark plugs back in and now the engine wont turn more than half a turn. almost a piston gets near the top and gets stuck. any ideas?
                      It sounds like multiple things are being changed at the same time and that you're taking a shotgun approach rather being methodical. Either that or I'm just too dumb to extrapolate the missing parts from your description of work done.

Now if I understand this right, you turned the engine over without spark plugs and without carbs. Then you put all of them back on, and now the engine locks. I cannot imagine anything else than a flooded cylinder if these are the only things that have been changed. And that can only be caused either by f$!ked-up carbs or by confusing the vacuum and fuel line (been there).

(This is all assuming you're able to distinguish compression vs. lock, but given by all the things you've done already anything else would be surprising).
                      #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                      #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                      #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                      #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
                        It sounds like multiple things are being changed at the same time and that you're taking a shotgun approach rather being methodical. Either that or I'm just too dumb to extrapolate the missing parts from your description of work done.

Now if I understand this right, you turned the engine over without spark plugs and without carbs. Then you put all of them back on, and now the engine locks. I cannot imagine anything else than a flooded cylinder if these are the only things that have been changed. And that can only be caused either by f$!ked-up carbs or by confusing the vacuum and fuel line (been there).

(This is all assuming you're able to distinguish compression vs. lock, but given by all the things you've done already anything else would be surprising).
                        Totally with you on this. With respect to the OP, many folk rush in without thinking methodically about the problem. Troubleshooting a problem (in any endeavour) requires a carefully thought out understanding of the BASE issue, then formulating a logical plan to solve it! And if you can't figure out the issue, then ASK others who may/will have more experience/knowledge before leaping in!!

That kinda sounds a bit "flowery" but it's true!

Download the Service Manual as well, if you haven't done so already.
                        Cheers, Andy

Current bikes... 78 GS750E, 72 CB500K1
                        Previously owned...
                        01 VFR800Fi, 67 Honda Sports 90
                        71 Yamaha 175 CT2, 73 Yamaha RD250 (great bike!), 79 Yamaha XT250T
                        75 Kawasaki KX125 (little screamer!)
                        BMW R65, BMW R80, BMW R100LT

Comment

i appreciate all the help i can get. i went in not fully knowing what i was looking for. i had taken the top of the head off so i could see the top of the pistons. i cleaned that all up. it seemed that the pistons werent warped when i did a hydrolock depth test.

Comment

Is there someone that is nearby that can go look and see what is going on? Seems like we're not getting anywhere with remote tech support. It wouldn't be difficult for someone not familiar with working on bikes to make a mistake that would be catastrophic and make all this more costly and difficult to fix. As for the hydrolock test, it's purpose is to determine if you have a bent connecting rod. I've not heard of a warped piston before. That doesn't mean it can't happen....just never heard of it. I also wonder how much marvel mystery oil was in the cylinders when he attempted to start the engine.

Comment

i found out the problem. my cam sprockets/chain were worn and it kept skipping out of time. this happened when i got it back together and i saw the rocker arms sheer off and fly when i had the valve cover off and was trying it out. thank you everyone for the help.

Comment

Working...
                              X