Re-building a GS1000 motor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-building a GS1000 motor.

Its been a few years since I had a 'small' oil leak from the cam chain tunnel on the GS and put her off the road. (2011) With work, family, life, lack of funds she has been lurking in the back of the garage while I used another bike to ride around on.

Well, its finally happening. I'm going to pull the lump apart and replace the head gasket.....

....for the life of me I cant remember if I should have the head skimmed or if it can just go straight back on with a new gasket/gaskets in place.

Anybody advise who has recently rebuilt one.

Engines done 46,000 miles from new, doesnt smoke, pulls well, just leaks oil everywhere.

Cheers
    Suzuki Mad.

Originally posted by Suzuki Mad View Post
    Its been a few years since I had a 'small' oil leak from the cam chain tunnel on the GS and put her off the road. (2011) With work, family, life, lack of funds she has been lurking in the back of the garage while I used another bike to ride around on.

Well, its finally happening. I'm going to pull the lump apart and replace the head gasket.....

....for the life of me I cant remember if I should have the head skimmed or if it can just go straight back on with a new gasket/gaskets in place.

Anybody advise who has recently rebuilt one.

Engines done 46,000 miles from new, doesnt smoke, pulls well, just leaks oil everywhere.

Cheers
    Suzuki Mad.
    Unless you think your head is warped or you want to increase the compression, you should be good just making sure the surfaces are nice and clean.
    :cool:GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
      Unless you think your head is warped or you want to increase the compression, you should be good just making sure the surfaces are nice and clean.
      Cheers Rick.

Comment

I am in the process of replacing gaskets on my son's 1000G. After taking the head of, I found the gasket was pretty much embedded in the aluminum. Knowing that I lack the proper equipment to safely remove that much gasket build-up, so I took it to a machine shop, along with the cylinder block. The block only had 0.0015" taken off to make it look good, the head took a bit more. The first pass was at 0.003", but there were still several low spots, so he took off another 0.002" for a total of 0.005". The end result was this:

In the process now of cleaning up the rest of the engine so we can start putting it all back together.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Nice looking finish on that.

I dont know if its warped, just re planning to see if I need a 'machine shop' to skim it before pulling the top off. Will only find out when I put a straight edge on it once its off.

Comment

Just have to sort out a head gasket and a couple of exhaust gaskets and all the bits are here.

Comment

I just did my 850. I had a light skim done also. Are you replacing the base gasket as well? It will likely get distirbed when you pull the head, so it's highly recommended.
              https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
              1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
              1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Just have to sort out a head gasket and a couple of exhaust gaskets and all the bits are here.
                That after u brought the base gasket, o-rings, piston rings and honed the barrel?

Comment

Agree on replacing the base gasket. And the valve stem seals. Better do everything while the top end is apart or you may have to do it twice.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yes second all that, I did my 850 a year or so ago I had the head and barrels skimmed head was only .002 out from outer side to cam chain tunnel was same on both sides but I was going to use Oem gaskets and for the 850 it is now a muti layered steel gasket and really should have a fine finish on head and barrels (some agree and some not) but at £100 in uk for the head gasket I was not going to take the risk.
                    Another thing is if you do use an Oem MLS head gasket you do not need to use the cam chain tunnel oring
                    Last edited by fastbysuzuki; 04-23-2018, 12:14 PM.
                    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
                    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                    past bikes. RF900
                    TL1000s
                    Hayabusa
                    gsx 750f x2
                    197cc Francis Barnett
                    various British nails

Comment

I wasnt planning on lifting the barrels at all. Just popping the head off, a clean up of the face and whacking the head down with a new gasket in place. Job done.

She didnt smoke, use oil, compression was good so I see no need to start tinkering. Swapping valve seals, pulling the valves out will mean a re-shim and I dont have shims here.
                      If the barrels come off then I'd be going for new rings and thats £500 in UK money for a full OEM set and that kills the project.

Comment

Good luck, if the rings are ok I don't see a reason why you cannot use them again if you don't want to do anything else I would renew the base gasket but it's your choice "pays yer money and take your chance"
                        IMD sells a set of rings for about £100 http://stores.ebay.co.uk/IMD-Pistons...sid=1028788763

i have a set of theirs in my 850 no problems.
                        The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
                        1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                        past bikes. RF900
                        TL1000s
                        Hayabusa
                        gsx 750f x2
                        197cc Francis Barnett
                        various British nails

Comment

if you machine the head wont you need to re shim regardless?
                          1983 GS 550 LD
                          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I wasnt planning on lifting the barrels at all. Just popping the head off, a clean up of the face and whacking the head down with a new gasket in place. Job done.
                            Good luck with that.

Many have tried, FEW have actually succeeded. It's particularly irritating to get 100 miles or so down the road and find that the base gasket is leaking, and realize that you now have the opportunity to do it over.

I was part of a team interviewing a candidate for a job opening we have. When asked about his work practices, he replied that he grew up knowing that there are two ways to do the job: right and over.

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                            if you machine the head wont you need to re shim regardless?
                            No. Machining the head will move the head closer to the pistons and retard valve timing ever so slightly, but will not affect valve clearances at all, unless your machining of the head also included cutting new valve seats.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

When I did mine I took the cylinders, new rings, disassembled head and valves (which were marked as to location) to a local engine builder to do his magic. He hot tanked the cylinders and head which removed all the old gasket residue, honed the cylinders, checked everything for being true and it was, checked and adjusted the ring gap as required and did a little touching up of the valve seats for about $100.00 if I remember correctly. Money well spent.
                              '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
                              https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X