Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    Good luck with that.

Many have tried, FEW have actually succeeded. It's particularly irritating to get 100 miles or so down the road and find that the base gasket is leaking, and realize that you now have the opportunity to do it over.

I was part of a team interviewing a candidate for a job opening we have. When asked about his work practices, he replied that he grew up knowing that there are two ways to do the job: right and over.

No. Machining the head will move the head closer to the pistons and retard valve timing ever so slightly, but will not affect valve clearances at all, unless your machining of the head also included cutting new valve seats.

That's the issue I have. Once you start to play with removing valves and digging deeper into an engine the more expense you fork out.

So lets play here for a minute.

Parts:-

Base gasket £17.10
    'O' rings £17 (£4.15 ea)
    Head gasket £103 oem
    Cam Chain seal £29 oem
    Rocker gasket £35 oem
    Half moons £32 oem (£6.72 ea)
    Valve seals £54 oem (£7 ea)
    Exhaust seals £21 oem (5.29 ea)

Machine work.

Head skimmed £35 approx.
    Valves reseated £3 per seat
    Valves machine £3 per valve

Rebuild:-

Re shimming Nobody does shims at garages anymore for these old girls..... (Hunt the local bike bits shop for shims....)

Total outlay (less my time) at UK cost prices.... £391 without oil and filter plus anything else that may or may not go wrong with the job.

It's all very well saying to this and do that but it's why a lot of these old girls just aren't on the road as people say 'its too expensive to repair it.' This old girl will be kept and saved for my life time. Its also why she hasnt been done to date as the OEM parts cost is so high.
    Last edited by Suzuki Mad; 04-25-2018, 05:37 AM.

Comment

"Buy once, cry once."

Yes, parts are not cheap, no doubt about that. However, with the very high likelihood of damaging the base gasket in the act of removing the head, how many times can you afford to buy a new head gasket? Looks like you will be spending another 103 Pounds because you tried to save 17 Pounds. And you will have to spend the 17 anyway.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If the head gasket is multi layered steel ( suspect it is) then you do not need a cam tunnel oring
        viton valve stem seals ( better than Oem) https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F362257426435
        The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
        1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
        past bikes. RF900
        TL1000s
        Hayabusa
        gsx 750f x2
        197cc Francis Barnett
        various British nails

Comment

It's a 1980 head gasket thats in it so I have no idea.

I like having all the parts here before works starts and I also like covering all the bases so that I have plans for everything before starting any work.

Thanks for the stem seals suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki Mad View Post
            It's a 1980 head gasket thats in it so I have no idea.
            A multi layered steel one has 3 separate stainless steel layers so it is easy to spot against the old composite type if you have the latter then you would use the cam tunnel oring.
            i have used the viton valve seals with no issues.
            cam tunnel oring https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F400958655565
            Good luck with whatever you chose to do.
            Last edited by fastbysuzuki; 04-25-2018, 06:15 PM.
            The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
            1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
            past bikes. RF900
            TL1000s
            Hayabusa
            gsx 750f x2
            197cc Francis Barnett
            various British nails

Comment

I would always go with OEM that aftermarket but thats me.

Somebody suggested a OEM MLS head gasket, I've no idea what one is and haven't found one either.

Also I've not heard of these 'Viton' valve seals you talk about.

Vesrah were about the only make of head gasket I knew. So looks like I will be going OEM parts. I might well shop at CSMNL https://www.cmsnl.com/ as the Euro prices work out a little cheaper than in the UK.

So parts....
              11141-490002 (1), 11241-49000 (1), 09289-07002 (8), 09280-74002 (4), 09280-21007(2), 14181-11010 (4)

Alpha sport USA $273 without shipping (£198.11)
              CSMNL NL Euro 228.61 with post (£201.59)
              Fowlers Suzuki UK £221.23 without post (£221.23)

Its only £20 I know but trying to save money here to get her done and running again.

Anybody else know where I can get parts cheaper for same quality doing this job?
              Last edited by Suzuki Mad; 04-29-2018, 12:47 PM. Reason: Added extra.

Comment

Cometic makes head gaskets and most others for the 1000. Personally I only use Suzuki for the lower barrel gasket though. The Cometic head gasket on my 1085 is holding up just fine under hard abuse. It's the same gasket Wiseco sells with their big bore kits.
                1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
                1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Working...
                X