Cam Chain location stability while tensioner out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam Chain location stability while tensioner out

Sanding and cleaningan '78 GS550 engine prepping for paint and am planning to remove the camchain tesioner so I can reach behind it for propper sanding/cleaning. I know the procedure for removal/install, TDC, turn in the set screw etc etc… but my question is:

Unsure of howdelicate a loose chains placement is… How much engine movement(shaking, bumping, rolling on the cart etc) can I get away withwithout disturbing the cam chain position? Obviously I’m not gonnapull the kick or rotate the engine but, am I clear to bounce the millabout a bit while she gets prepped & painted? Never had aproblem with one jumping place, like to keep it that way.

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by scratch; 05-03-2018, 04:22 PM.

Unless you deliberately turn the crankshaft, it should be fine. And skipping time isn't the end of the world, just a little added work.

Still, I'd get the tensioner back into place ASAP. It's a nice big hole into the engine.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks for the reply & yes, will have that hole capped propper to keep the mung out. Cheers1

Comment

Working...
      X