Stripped engine sprocket nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripped engine sprocket nut

I was taking the chain off for maintenance and it got stuck. So I pulled the engine sprocket cover off and found the engine sprocket nut just laying in the cover. After cleaning it up I discover there are no thread left in the nut!

Anyone know how that could happen?
    1980 GS550L

Originally posted by goggles View Post
    I was taking the chain off for maintenance and it got stuck. So I pulled the engine sprocket cover off and found the engine sprocket nut just laying in the cover. After cleaning it up I discover there are no thread left in the nut!

Anyone know how that could happen?
    If you're not the original owner and haven't changed the sprocket before, I'd venture to guess that a PO stripped the threads with an impact gun. I doubt it's as hard as the shaft threads.
    :cool:GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I changed the sprocket in 2010. I thought I did it correctly but who knows. I do know I did not use an impact wrench since I do not own one.
      1980 GS550L

Comment

Is overtightening the only way the threads would strip out?
        1980 GS550L

Comment

I don't know, this is the first time I've heard of this.
          :cool:GSRick
          No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
          Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Several others questions come to mind in replacing the sprocket.

The front sprocket is definitely worn.

sprockethighlight.jpg

I read that you should change the chain and rear sprocket as a set.

If the chain is not stretched beyond the specification in the manual , is it really necessary to change the chain?

Do you change the sprockets on a schedule or on the basis of wear?
            1980 GS550L

Comment

I read that you should change the chain and rear sprocket as a set.

If the chain is not stretched beyond the specification in the manual , is it really necessary to change the chain?...
              Yes. A worn chain will wear out the sprockets much faster.
              '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Change the chain and both sprockets at the same time not just the rear
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

If the chain is not stretched beyond the specification in the manual , is it really necessary to change the chain?
                  Yes. Change the sprockets and chain as a set.

The chain measurement procedure in the manuals is 100% complete unadulterated bull puckey.

Maybe it had some validity back in the roller chain days in the 1960s or something, but modern x-ring/o-ring chains simply don't wear out that way.

Back to the original topic, are the threads on the countershaft OK?
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

They show some wear. Hope there is enough to hold a replacement nut.
                    1980 GS550L

Comment

Lock-tite is your friend!
                      1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
                      1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

If the threads are damaged get a thread file and clean them up. Don't just spin a new nut onto damaged threads.
                        '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                          If the threads are damaged get a thread file and clean them up. Don't just spin a new nut onto damaged threads.
                          That is what I normally do.
                          http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1352313915
                          1979 GS1000

Comment

Does anyone know the thread pitch for the threads?
                            1980 GS550L

Comment

I picked up a thread gauge at Lowes. The thread pitch is 1.5. I measured the inside diameter of the new nut and got 18.5 mm. I assume that means 18 mm nominal bolt size.

Also was wondering if the thread file or a die would be the better choice? Currently I have neither in my tools.
                              1980 GS550L

Comment

Working...
                              X