Weeping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weeping

A couple months ago, I got the '81 GS850GLX back together. There wasn't much time to ride because a '87 Honda GL1200 was taking up my spare time. But the 850 got started every few days and there were some short rides too. It ran fine up to about 50 miles on the trip meter. At that point, a very small bit of oil was weeping from the left side, at the rear...base gasket. It was barely noticeable.

After squaring away the GL1200, I got to ride both bikes more. The more the 850 ran, the more it wept until...I added a touch more oil. I like my bikes to be filled half-way, not much more or less. After adding the oil to the full line, it did what I thought. Weeping turned into leaking on start up.

Obviously, I have to get back down to the base gasket. Can the cylinders be pulled with the motor/crankcase in the frame?

Yes no problem whilst in situ, recommend you use Oem gaskets and o rings to do the job.
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Comment

When replacing everything 150 miles ago, I knew that I should have used Suzuki gaskets. But it was an entire rebuild and got real expensive so I went with Versah (sp?) which I read were okay. I'll go Suzuki this time. O-rings and head gaskets should be okay. Thanks...glad it can be done without yanking the motor again. I think I've had it out three times so far.

Comment

Did you retorque the head after a few heat cycles?
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

uh-huh and it looks like i'll be doing it again...once i fix the leak at the cylinder base.

Comment

Got everything pulled off the motor and waiting for new gaskets.

Things I didn't expect to see at first. 1) Excessive pools of oil in the head. The motor has new rings. When the bike had a slight oil weep, the motor consistently pulled nice and strong on the road. No smokey exhaust. It was a good little ripper. After the weep turned into a leak, it hasn't been on the road. 2) The head gasket's middle section at the rear was wrecked. The soft coating was gone leaving exposed metallic center. So I believe the weep/leak was from there. The oil then found it's lowest point making it look like the leak was at the left side of the base gasket (which was intact). 3) The pistons were sparkling clean when I put them in hundred+ miles ago. #one was still clean as a whistle. The other three had been burning some oil, especially two and three.

I ordered OEM Suzuki gaskets this time. The ruined head gasket didn't appear to be pinched, folded, cut, etc. Looks like it just blew apart to me.

So it seems like the head gasket blew apart then allowing oil to pass from the cylinders into the head, esp 2 and 3 nearest the blowout. The oil would be forced into the head where it pooled. Wouldn't take much time for it to happen. Pressure would do the job pretty quick. Does that sound reasonable? The pooling of oil has my attention even though it was running very well before the leak.

Comment

It is somewhat normal to have pools of oil in the head.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hey Steve.
                Yeah, I realize that now. After writing the post, did some research.
                So now I'm not as concerned. Thanks!

Comment

As Ed mentioned don't forget to re torque the head after a few heat cycles, if the new head gasket is a multi layered steel one you do not use the rectangular o ring for the cam tunnel.
                  The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
                  1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                  past bikes. RF900
                  TL1000s
                  Hayabusa
                  gsx 750f x2
                  197cc Francis Barnett
                  various British nails

Comment

Originally posted by fastbysuzuki View Post
                    if the new head gasket is a multi layered steel one you do not use the rectangular o ring for the cam tunnel.
                    that's something i've not heard of until now. did suzuki make two different kinds of gaskets under the same part number?

Comment

The Suzuki part number for the head gasket has been updated and consolidated a few times. The same part number is now used for the 8 valve GS850, GS1000 (both shaftie and chain), and GS1100 models.

Punch in 11141-49410 here, and click "where used".

And yeah, the new head gasket doesn't need the cam chain tunnel o-ring.

Sorry you had to find out Vesrah gaskets are junk like this. I don't know where you read they're OK, but it wasn't here. Make sure you replace the base gasket and those weird little pear shaped base gasket o-rings.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Yeah, I know about part consolidation and often questioned how that happens years later. I've seen it with other brands too not just Suzuki GS bikes.

Thanks for the info on the tunnel O-ring. I wouldn't have know that since the parts list shows the O-ring in tandem with the head gasket. Good to know.

I've heard about Vesrah gaskets being okay on other sites but it doesn't take much to find positive words on this site.. "I installed them a few years ago, they have been just fine since" Do a quick search, you'll see what I mean. Of course others have said the opposite. Opinions vary...not a surprise. I'd have said they're okay cuz they've held on a Kawi rebuild that I did. Now, not so much.

Comment

I used Vesrah for years, and they were fine - every bit as good as OEM back then. I don't know about now, but there's always the (strong) possibility that they've been counterfeited, and who knows what you buy in good faith from what source, and what shady source they had.
                          Even buying OEM has its pitfalls - if you buy something OEM that's been at the back of a store for several years, the simple passing of time can wreak havoc on rubbers and some other materials.
                          ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Ball park guesstimate. Complaints here about engine gaskets, after market outnumber OEM at least 20 to 1.
                            There are some pretty experienced heads amongst the aftermarket complainers so workmanship can be ruled out as a significant factor.
                            Three summers ago I did the base, head and valve seals with a €60 full engine set of NE gaskets. So far so good.
                            However the fire rings did not align perfectly with the cylinders, the dowel holes had to be enlarged and the stem seals got tossed during assembly and replaced with Athena.
                            After a few heat cycles I got a full half turn or more on the headbolts.
                            97 R1100R
                            Previous
                            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                              Ball park guesstimate. Complaints here about engine gaskets, after market outnumber OEM at least 20 to 1.
                              There are some pretty experienced heads amongst the aftermarket complainers so workmanship can be ruled out as a significant factor.
                              Three summers ago I did the base, head and valve seals with a €60 full engine set of NE gaskets. So far so good.
                              However the fire rings did not align perfectly with the cylinders, the dowel holes had to be enlarged and the stem seals got tossed during assembly and replaced with Athena.
                              After a few heat cycles I got a full half turn or more on the headbolts.
                              I was hoping you'd update on that, as I bought an NE gasket set on the chance it would be ok in the long term. I've already installed some Viton valve stem seals, so next is to complete the assembly soon-ish. I have an OEM base gasket in stock, so I'll use that instead of the NE one.
                              ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                              X