No announcement yet.

gs650g timing issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reason for the work was because I had a bubble in the watch glass, didnt recheck the oil after i started the bike, and pushed the engine too hard. revved it to about 7 grand with half a quart too much oil in it and started puking oil out the vent at the top. Figured it was either head gasket or piston rings but I also wanted to see the inside of the engine to check the condition and clean stuff out. History on the bike is it was a craigslist barn bike with 6k miles on it, but the last registration on it was from 1981(the year it was made) so shes been sitting for a while probably 35ish years. bought for 800 figuring it would last a while before any major work...

This is my first bike, and have no previous experience with anything bigger than a 5hp lawnmower engine. So my blunder with the oil was a sore mistake that will not be forgotten. and the cam tensioner is installed properly, and takes up the slack. I gave it a small crank backwards and the chain was still tight.

good news is the bike runs like a hot damn now. Better than before the rebuild! and all the sludge from engine break in is gone so oil should be nice and clean for a while.

Also if there is a place on this for entertaining stories, Ive got some pictures from this rebuild. As a college student I did the whole topend rebuild in student housing and in a parking lot including using a 30 rack to drop the engine. where theres a will theres a way.

Comment

"Also if there is a place on this for entertaining stories, Ive got some pictures from this rebuild. As a college student I did the whole topend rebuild in student housing and in a parking lot including using a 30 rack to drop the engine. where theres a will theres a way."

us old guys like to hear these stories , knowing that there are still some youngins who will perserve!
      keep up with the maintenance and this critter will treat you well....Mine still runs nicely at 58k miles, 50+mpg easy
      Enjoy it
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
      X