Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS1100 top end refresh

Hi guys.
    Have some leaks so I decided to refresh the top end with a fresh hone, seals, gaskets etc.
    Was wondering if I could get your opinion on what you think to these pistons?
    Bike has 74000 kms (46000 miles), cylinders look great, can still see the cross hatching a little bit.
    Just not sure about the brown ring between the rings? is that un-burnt gas?

Thanks for any help on this.
    Cheers
    Paul
    Attached Files

Does it look like excess blow by?
    $45 Canadian for rings per hole gets expensive, was hoping to just hone and put it all back together.
    Sorry for all the questions just trying to do this on a happy wife budget.

Cheers
    Paul

Comment

Nothing to worry about, and no, it is not excessive blow-by.

Assuming and if they measure within spec, clean them up, deglaze cyl walls with bottle hone and reassemble. Use only OEM gaskets!
      1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
      1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Awesome thanks for the info.
        Yes definetly oem gaskets, have them on order

Comment

Why go to all of that work and NOT hone the cylinders and put new rings in it??? Disassemble the head, clean it, lap the valves, install new seals and have a ready to go FRESH top end!! Don't forget to install new orings on the front center 2 head nuts and put grease on them before you reinstall.
          It just makes absolutely NO sense to me why someone would go to all that work and then reuse OLD rings!!! But, hey, I'm just an engine builder, what do I know.
          Ray.

Comment

I guess I assumed you were going to install new rings, $45 a hole is not expensive!

As Ray stated, new rings at the minimum. But he is absolutely correct about doing the refresh on the head, you can probably clean up the valves yourself and give them a light lap with lapping compound and install new seals, all by yourself! Not a lot of $$ involved!
            1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
            1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Sorry guys was trying to cut corners to save a few dollars.
              Agreed I'm doing the rings. This will be a winter project so I can purchase the parts slowly to avoid detection from the wife. lol
              Thanks for putting me straight.

Cheers
              Paul

Comment

So I priced out new oem rings $240 CAD total with taxes. best price I can find up here.
                I see cruzinimage has the full set for $50 USD ($70 CAD)
                Anybody used their rings? Not worth it?

Cheers
                Paul

Comment

Working...
                X