Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generator cover

Hello forum,
    Believe I know the answer to this question? But it is always best to ask! Have sorted the ignition on my 1977 GS750 Starts straight away and runs nice. However I decided to take off the generator cover to put on a new crank case badge! Once I took out the allen bolts oil started to pour out, about 1/4 to 1/2 pint.
    Am I right in thinking that a crankshaft seal has gone? Or does the generator run in oil? (Don't believe so)
    The other question I would like to ask? How does the cam chain adjuster work? As I thought it was automatic when it is turned? Do you adjust it while engine is running or not?

Regards

Little Wagon

There is oil on the stator side. The oil acts like a coolant for the stator.

Comment

Read this,carefully! It is automatic, if installed correctly (assuming it's not frozen)

edit: on the 450 thru 650,it's hard to remove the tensioner to check its operation due to carbs
      Last edited by tom203; 09-05-2018, 02:19 PM.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

If you put a bit of 2x4 under one side of the main stand it will lift the side of the bike just enough to allow the case to be opened without losing oil.
        Would advise chocking and tie downs just in case
        Depending on series or shunt regulator the stator acts as a heater for the oil...........
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Yep, prop it up like this. Photo compliments of Steve (the GS whisperer)
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
            Yep, prop it up like this. Photo compliments of Steve (the GS whisperer)
            How did you find that so fast?
            See he's lost the right indicator already with it falling over............
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
              How did you find that so fast?
              See he's lost the right indicator already with it falling over............
              Steve helped me out with the photo when I asked a similar question, so I went back to that thread and found the pic. But I asked before I took the cover off. I cannot comment on how Steve may or may not have lost his right rear blinker.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Working...
              X