Secondary Drive rear seal 850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Secondary Drive rear seal 850G

Still in the midst of bringing the 850g back to life. When I removed the final drive to grease the splines I found gear oil leaking from the swingarm. I pulled the rubber boot back and gear oil dumped out of there so I'm guessing the secondary drive rear seal is the culprit. Pulled the swing arm and prop shaft and the seal looks pretty straight forward to pull and replace. No circlips or anything. OEM part is 14 dollars from my local dealer.

Anything that's hiding that will make the job harder than I think it will be? Looks like pry out old seal put new one in.

Thanks,
    Josh

Check for other failures first. This seal does not normally fail for no reason.

The normal way this seal fails is that the nose of the output shaft breaks at the base of the threads. The output yoke stays on, but everything can move around a bit, which leads to the bearing and seal failing. If there's any play at all, then you'll need to go deeper.

Then again, I'm pretty sure you would have spotted it bu now if the nut holding the output yoke on fell out, so if everything is mechanically sound, then it's straightforward.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I wasn't familiar with the way the drive system is on the GS (only other shaft drive bikes I've had were BMWs and FJR), and when I pulled the final drive to lube the splines I pulled on the drive shaft thinking it would come out as well, obviously that won't work with the way this is setup so I may have pulled it enough to cause the leak. I've got the swing arm all the way off so I might as well replace it while I'm in there I guess.

Comment

Working...
      X