Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel coming out of crankcase ventilation hose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel coming out of crankcase ventilation hose?

Hi all,

Title more or less says it all. I have a 1979 GS850G, and have just noticed a lot of smoke and some unburnt fuel coming out of the crankcase ventilation hose. I've read a few posts saying about float needles being stuck open, but I recently rebuilt my carbs and changed the needles also (I will do a float level check soon, but as of now I assume they're fine.) Compression in each cylinder is also not too bad for a 79 bike (around 110psi for each), so I'd think the piston rings are ok, but could it possibly be valve stem seals? Or anything else? Has anyone experienced similar problems before?

Thanks in advanced for the replies

Do you mean liquid fuel or just a smell?
    Is it possibly condensation and not fuel at all.
    What is the oil level like?
    If you suspect that a lot of fuel has been draining into the crankcase you should consider your oil is toast and change it.
    Loads of threads here about this and how to stop it.
    Main culprits are defective fuel tap and float valves.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

And defective needle valve seat O rings.

Richard
      sigpic
      GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
      GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
      Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
      Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
        And defective needle valve seat O rings.

A 79 GS850 will have VM26's, no O rings on valve seats, just small gaskets.
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Do you mean liquid fuel or just a smell?
          Is it possibly condensation and not fuel at all.
          What is the oil level like?
          If you suspect that a lot of fuel has been draining into the crankcase you should consider your oil is toast and change it.
          Loads of threads here about this and how to stop it.
          Main culprits are defective fuel tap and float valves.
          Alot of condensation yes, but also neat fuel coming out too. Oil level hasn't really increased, atleast not a noticable amount. Will double check my fuel tap and float valves, but I have no reason to think they are faulty. Petcock was inspected not too long ago and carbs were rebuilt with new float valves too
          Last edited by Guest; 09-23-2018, 05:46 AM.

Comment

Check/test your petcock again....it's the most likely culprit...
            Try this... remove both lines from petcock: get some clear vinyl tubing that fits snugly on petcock vacuum fitting. In "on" and "res" fuel,show flow when you suck on this tubing- otherwise it should not. Any signs of fuel in the tubing means the petcock diaphragm is likely leaking.maybe just when bike is running but maybe at alltimes.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              Check/test your petcock again....it's the most likely culprit...
              Try this... remove both lines from petcock: get some clear vinyl tubing that fits snugly on petcock vacuum fitting. In "on" and "res" fuel,show flow when you suck on this tubing- otherwise it should not. Any signs of fuel in the tubing means the petcock diaphragm is likely leaking.maybe just when bike is running but maybe at alltimes.
              Ok, thanks. I'll give it a go. How would the fuel get to the crankcase ventilation tube though unless some seals or rings are faulty? Is there another way it can bypass the cylinder and into the crankcase?

Comment

Heavy fuel/oil vapor should be the worst you get through the breather and that's not uncommon. Check the float valves again, it's possible fuel is passing out the back of the carbs to the airbox - I've had this happen.
                -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

You could put the bike on the sidestand and set the tap to PRI.
                  If fuel starts coming out the airbox you have a problem
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous
                  80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

It'll do it on the center stand as well and fuel will also flow out of the overflow tubes...
                    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

I should probably mention this here, as I forgot to before. My bike has no airbox, it has pod filters. So the fuel cant be coming out the carbs and into the airbox. It has to go into the engine and out the vent hose.

Comment

Originally posted by Sammy_1101 View Post
                        I should probably mention this here, as I forgot to before. My bike has no airbox, it has pod filters. So the fuel cant be coming out the carbs and into the airbox. It has to go into the engine and out the vent hose.
                        The airbox side of the carbs is lower than the engine side, so it's still going to flow into the pods. Unless your pods are weird...
                        It's almost impossible to have fuel dump into the engine with VM carbs, the overflow tubes prevents this. Where is your crankcase ventilation hose positioned - can you post a photo?
                        -Mal

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
                          The airbox side of the carbs is lower than the engine side, so it's still going to flow into the pods. Unless your pods are weird...
                          It's almost impossible to have fuel dump into the engine with VM carbs, the overflow tubes prevents this. Where is your crankcase ventilation hose positioned - can you post a photo?
                          The hose comes out of the top of the valve cover and runs down the back of the engine so that anything coming out of the hose will just spill onto the ground. Cant post a picture right now but I will get one as soon as I can.

When I turn the petcock to prime, no fuel comes out of the overflow, thats why it leads me to believe that it somehow is leaking out of the cylinder before its ignited.

Comment

Working...
                          X