final drive gearing gs650g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

final drive gearing gs650g

Hi everyone i am Dave a newbie from Bristol in the UK this is my first post i have been renovating a 650 katana which is the only katana with shaft drive I believe and on my first test ride I found it very low geared is there a higher gear final drive from one of the bigger bikes that would give me a taller gear? and one other question, where is the oil light pressure switch situated on my bike, many thanks, Dave.

I believe that the gearing on your 650 is the same on the 850, 1000 and 1100 shafties, up through '82. The '83 1100 switched from a 3.1 ratio to a 2.9. Yes, it sounds like it's spinning a bit high, but that is where it is most efficient. I saw a report from someone on a 750 (chain-driven bike) that tried changing the ratio to lower the engine speed. He said he would tolerate the lesser acceleration, but came back a few months later to announce that his fuel mileage had dropped CONSIDERABLY. He switched back to near the stock ratio and his mileage went back up. Let the engine spin, enjoy the sound.

The oil pressure light switch is under the ignition cover on the right end of the crank.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

many thanks wisperer for your input guess I am used to riding a big twin at around 2-3k revs (BMW r1150r) just not used to hearing an engine screaming away at 6k I would be doing about 100mph on the beemer. and thanks for oil switch location my pressure has been running too high pushing oil out of the head gasket and I found the release valve had been replaced with a tube that's simply just blanked off, giving full pump pressure all the time. I realise my engine runs a plain bearing crank and needs high pressure but I think I need to calm it down and refit a pressure release valve.

Comment

Working...
      X