oil pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil pressure

Hi guys can somebody enlighten me, I have a gs560g which I have just finished renovating and on the first test ride oil starting coming out on the left hand side between cylinder and the head at quite a high pressure. my brother (ex bike mechanic) said he thought the pressure looked too high. But on researching the plain crank bearing bikes need 40-70 psi and that's standard, any way I fitted a pressure relief valve instead of the blanked of pipe that's there and with warm oil its down to 20 psi, not good I am thinking.
    So I am going back to the blanked off valve and maximum pressure and i guess remove the head and fix the oil leak. it will also give me a chance to inspect internals as she is a bit Smokey. Any comments on this much appreciated. Dave.

Are you using the right pressure relief valve for this motor? Normal running pressure is upwards of 50psi allegedly, but I'd bet that at idle,it drops down to 20.. Where are you measuring this pressure?
    As to head leaks, do all the manufacturing block off plugs look solid?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

As far as I can see there is no relief valve its properly manufactured piece that is made to be blanked off. and I am measuring at the end of the camshaft there is a 6mm bolt that you can take out on the end of the oil gallery.

Comment

Since this is a 650 katana, it has an oil cooler...so it's different from the other 650's. But the parts diagram shows your bypass tube and a pressure regulator. Oddly, this regulator is still available, while the normal one isn't.

Shop online for OEM Oil Pump - Oil Filter parts that fit your 1983 Suzuki GS650M, search all our OEM Parts or call at 386-740-2452
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

You should not monkey around with the oiling system to reduce pressure. There is a pressure relief valve located on the bottom of the engine which will open if the pressure is too high. You can mount a pressure gauge in place of the pressure switch if you want to measure oil pressure and make sure the relief valve is working properly.

BTW, the plain bearing 650's have a tendency to destroy cranks so I'd be very leery of reducing oil pressure in any way. I'd put the engine back to stock and replace the bad gaskets and seals with OEM Suzuki parts. Aftermarket gaskets are high risk.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

well nessism I think you are spot on reducing oil pressure is a definite no-no. I am going to tare down the top end and check internals. and rebuild with new gasket. And tom my engine I think does not belong to this frame as it does not have an oil cooler, I think 650 katanas had 2 variants one with and one without oil coolers. any way guys, wish me luck with my rebuild and many thanks for your comments. Dave.

Comment

If your oil pan does not have oil cooler connections at front, then you have the regular motor which has a pressure regulator just forward of oil pickup screen mounted in hole.
              1981 gs650L

Comment

I definitely don't have a regulator but I did get an oil cooler in the parts box when I bought the bike. so I think the previous owner has fitted the wrong pan to this engine, but I think it should still function without a cooler. Dave.

Comment

Working...
                X